Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acclimating to a RIDE cushion

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If your looking at lowering the cushion and gaining a little more dump, what my vendor did instead of shaving the whole bottom was just cut some channels into the bottom of it along the frame rail. Went in 1/4 '' increments till it was dialed in, didn't affect the integrity of the cushion,got me lowering in wheels and im just as comfy on it as I was on my old cushion.
    Hmm, this sounds like an option but I'm not entirely sure of the visual I'm getting. I have a severe 4-5inch height adjustment to make. I 'might' be able to get by with 2" higher than I currently am in my Slimline but I'm so darn short my arms are not long enough to give me the leverage I need to make the climb. My biggest issue is the toilet. I simply can't do it and I'm worried I'll be stuck with this terribly expensive cushion. I don't suppose you have photos of the alterations?

Quote Originally Posted by oncetherwasagirl View Post
    Hmm, this sounds like an option but I'm not entirely sure of the visual I'm getting. I have a severe 4-5inch height adjustment to make. I 'might' be able to get by with 2" higher than I currently am in my Slimline but I'm so darn short my arms are not long enough to give me the leverage I need to make the climb. My biggest issue is the toilet. I simply can't do it and I'm worried I'll be stuck with this terribly expensive cushion. I don't suppose you have photos of the alterations?
    I'll try and get pic for you. 4-5 is a pretty big number. When they spec'd your new chair with the ride cushion on it, did they take your seating height from your old chair and cushion into consideration at all?

Quote Originally Posted by oncetherwasagirl View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean about arm bend being in proportion. I think i'm ok there, actually. Being so high from the floor has always made me a bit nervous. But the big factor (It's a Ride custom 2, by the way) is that the high rise of the sides of the cushion in front are so insane that I am not going to be able to transfer to toilet. I now have a 4inch hurdle from toilet to chair and I simply can't do it. I would also need to raise my bed a couple of inches. I'm not happy about this. I think I made a bad choice and possibly my PT and rep failed me in that they didn't consider the numbers more. I did stress all of this to them on my first visit, that I needed to be at certain height for this transfer and that transfer. I was willing to give a little as I didn't want to be 'that' person who is just afraid to change anything. But this difference is just too great and simply no doable for me. Ugh! They really didn't offer other cushion choices, stating the RIDE was best for me.

The rep is still coming out to make the 1/2" adjustment and sling the seat pan a little but that's never going to drop me down close to the 4 inches I really need. And if I'm hammocked, won't that change the load? I pressure-mapped ok, cept for a little issue on the outer side of my thighs but we adjusted that with some shaving down.

Yes, the shaving off the bottom of the cushion I understand but not sure if we can do that (and I'd never do it on my own , just in case, as you said, can't go back). I am pretty sure she got it as low as possible. I've watched a few videos of Tom Hetzel from RIDE just to see if my PT/Rep followed appropriate steps and didn't miss anything and it seems they did ok. I'm no expert though. I'm still feeling I may have been ill-advised on getting the RIDE simply for the fact that the height will inhibit my transfers. I've never had to deal with something like this... a piece of equipment not working out for me but already paid for. How much do I have a right to change now? Will have a long talk with her (again) about it when she comes out but I think I may be screwed.
    Yea, the Ride custom 2 is way different than the Java I have. I can see how that one would sit you up a lot higher. You could cut a whole lot more off the bottom of that one if someone is willing to help you with it. If you took the bottom of the bowl in the back and went down 1/2" you cut the rest off below that point. That's the way my Java came. It sits much lower than the Custom cushions (I had to add some foam under mine) and has a layer of soft foam on top of the hard foam that is more forgiving. Or can you swap yours with the Java at this point or did they custom make the cushion to fit you? I had a Ride "custom" before but it was an off the shelf version. If not, to solve your toilet transfer issue you can get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Med...2Bhandles&th=1

It raises the toilet seat about 4", I used one at my old house for years. It bolts on in the back and I put some double sided foam tape under the front to keep it from sliding. I removed the handles too.

Also, I don't think bowing your sling seat pan will help lower you much with a Ride cushion because of how stiff the foam is. I would pull the seat pan as tight as I could so it doesn't put extra pressure on your hips because its leaning in from the sides.
    Last edited by Brad09; 09-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I like the Ride Custom cushion. It is an innovative cushion that helps reduce skin breakdown and compensates for hip obliquity. But the rigid foam limits where and how you can sit. For a long transfer out of the wheelchair, you have to sit on the edge of the cushion in order to get close enough to the transfer target. This is not a problem with a soft foam cushion because the soft foam conforms to your body (Figure 1). It's the other way around with the Ride Custom cushion. Because it is rigid, your body conforms to it's shape. The result is that your hips will be leaning in the wrong direction when transferring from the edge of the cushion (Figure 2).

Just don't transfer from the edge of the cushion? Easier said than done. Transferring from the middle of the cushion adds several inches to the transfer, which is huge. The better solution is to eliminate the contour. That can help. But it won't eliminate the problem. It's just the nature of the beast.

Similar problem applies for mobility and access. You want your hips to move more than you may realize. When doing simple daily activities like pushing your wheelchair or just reaching for something, you want your hips to move in the direction of your spine, which should move in the direction of your shoulders and neck. Otherwise, you sacrifice strength and range of motion and increase risk of injury. After my shoulder injury, I've tested this phenomena with a Ride Custom vs Roho. Noticeable improvement with the Roho - less pain, greater range of motion, and easier transfers. Who would have though that a cushion can have such a significant effect on your shoulder?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by August West; 09-07-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Actually, I think Figure 2 should be more like this. Because your hips are pointing in the opposite direction of your shoulders, your spine curves downward, which lowers your shoulder (natural position of shoulder is shown in green). But that doesn't work because your shoulder will be too low to do the transfer, so you compensate by shrugging your shoulder (shown in red). You end up contorted. It's not pretty. All because of poor hip alignment.

The Ride Java eliminates all of the transfer issues mentioned, while still holding your hips in place and floating your ischials. Although it isn't a "custom" fit cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    The Ride Java eliminates all of the transfer issues mentioned, while still holding your hips in place and floating your ischials. Although it isn't a "custom" fit cushion.
    Here is a cross section view of the Java cushion. It's great that there is a soft foam layer to conform to your body shape. But it can only conform as much as it is thick. As you can see there is very little thickness on the edge vs the middle. If you try to sit with one hip on the edge of the cushion and the other hip on the middle of the cushion, the hip on the middle of the cushion will sink in more than the other hip. Result is that your hips will still be leaning away from the transfer target whereas they should be leaning toward the transfer target.
    Last edited by August West; 09-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.