Thread: Grip tape ideas for hand rims?

Grip tape ideas for hand rims?

As you have read my grip tape on my Surge LT hand rims has pealed off and in a short time more will peal off again.

Any suggestions out in the CareCure community on how to replace this grip tape with something else since Out-Front will not sell replacement Gripton tape? Spending $300 is not an option since a new TiLite ZRA 'chair co-pay is $670.

Any and all ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

$20 delivered every couple of months...a lot less fiddley and cleaner, less calloused hands:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017XHM8C/

I've been using surge handrims daily for four years now and aside from the typical knicks and scrapes they have never given any indication of peeling off... Is this normal for other people as well? Do yours have some sort of manufacturing defect that needs to be covered under warranty? I doubt I use mine any less than you so I'm not sure why I've never had that problem.

I used some scotch rubber splicing tape (much thicker than electrical tape) on some regular outfront (non surge) handrims years ago. It was better than nothing but not as good as the surge grip. The problem with wrapping something on a handrim is going to be peeling at the joint where your fingers catch it when braking.

titanium4motion,

If using gloves is not desired and you can spend $100 on a solution that will last longer than tape, RibGrips work well for some people. At the time of this writing, RibGrips is advertising a $99/set price (which includes freight) that is a lower price than the 2016 dealer terms selling price specifies.

Out Front sells junk!

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    titanium4motion,

If using gloves is not desired and you can spend $100 on a solution that will last longer than tape, RibGrips work well for some people. At the time of this writing, RibGrips is advertising a $99/set price (which includes freight) that is a lower price than the 2016 dealer terms selling price specifies.
    I would like to know if anybody else had this problem of the Gripton tape pealing off?

Dual Grip use to make the same type of hand rim but it was circular with the grip tape inset laid on top of the hand rim. There was a flat area on top of the rim where the grip tape would lay and they sold replacement tape for about $25.

This is not the first product from Out Front that disappointed me. Their composite wheel locks both springs broke on me. I replaced them with aluminum wheel locks.

I see my doctor in a few weeks and a new prescription is on my list for a new TiLite ZRA without Out Front products on the 'chair. TiLite will sandblast their rims for you at a charge but you have to request it. It is not on the form.

I have a new set of titanium hand rims sandblasted from a local body shop for $20.

Spending $300 is not an option for a new pair Out Front hand rims where my co-pay for a new TiLite ZRA is $670.

Right now I am seeking something to replace the Gripton tape or other ideas.

RibGrips, how do you keep them clean?

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."