Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: intermittent cathing with leg bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
    Those last two posts pretty much blow up everything I was taught about IC. 'Course, my urologist once told me that he has a patient that carries a red rubber cath in his boot for use whenever. I guess it all depends on your resistance to bugs.
    I had a friend that carried one in his pocket. Pull it out, spit on it, cath, rinse it off with water and stick it back in his pocket for the next time! Do I recommend it? Absolutely not, but it worked for him.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Unfortunately what you are experiencing is what I have experienced in my 36 years of spinal cord injury. I started out wearing a condom catheter and leg bag. Twelve-thirteen years in, I had too much bladder pressure and too much residual urine and could longer continue with a condom catheter. I had to go to intermittent catheterization. I was fortunate enough to have anticholinergics work for me and at the time, no one spoke much about cognitive side effects, so that wasn't an issue. I cathed for about 13-14 years. I had Botox injections 4 times before it no longer worked, and started to have to cath about every 2 hours around the clock. I am a complete quad and could not cath myself...my wife cathed me. Our quality of life was miserable, we weren't getting any sleep, and I was having frequent and recurring urinary tract infections.

I saw a neurobiologist who gave me several alternatives, all, except one, were major surgeries (major body alterations) with lengthy recovery times. The most appealing alternative was the supra public catheter. I decided to give it a try as a baby step toward other methods of bladder management. I've had the supra pubic for about 8 years, and I am only sorry I didn't have one placed years before. I don't have to watch my fluid intake, I don't have to find a place to be cathed when we are out or hurry home to be cathed or interrupt my wife's schedule to cath me...and we sleep through the night.

I know at T5, you probably have resistance to this idea, but give it some consideration and if you can, get to a neurobiologist who can help you evaluate your alternatives.
    Do you think if I cathed three times a day (every 8 hours about) and used the leg bag that it would be enough to avoid the issues you had with residual urine that caused you to stop using the condom catheter? What caused the increase in your bladder pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Do you think if I cathed three times a day (every 8 hours about) and used the leg bag that it would be enough to avoid the issues you had with residual urine that caused you to stop using the condom catheter? Hard to say, everyone is different.

What caused the increase in your bladder pressure? Natural progression of a neurogenic bladder.
    You really need to get the urodynamics studies and the advise of your urologist. In any case, if I were making the choice for myself, despite the two opinions written above about cathing through a condom catheter, I would not practice cathing through the external catheter.

Hollister quit making the condom cath with the "lid" for cathing.
    Botox every 3 months to the bladder is quite often. WE do only every 6 months0 5 months if issue.
    Hopefully in the future they will try Dysport to the bladder to see if helps.
    Mirgabetron does not work as well as Oxybutynin. We are using both Trospium ( less side effects than Oxybutynin) and Mirgabetron. It has helped some.
    The only side effect I have seen with Mirgabetron is increased blood pressure. But if you did have side effects that would rule that out.
    We use low dose Trospium and higher dose Mirgabetron or Trospium highest dose with Mirgabetron 25 mg daily-lowest dose.
    The bladder augmentation is the surgery you are talking about. It is a major surgery.
    SPtube is another choice.
    The thought is intermittent catheterization has less UTI's than an indwelling.

There are some promising studies using electrical stimulation.

UDS- what was your voiding pressure? filling pressure
    Sometimes these are high and you need the medication to keep low to ensure no backing up in to the kidneys.

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Well I wasn't going to say anything, but after a couple other guys did, I'll chime in. This works for me! It may not work for you or anyone else! I was like you. For the first couple months I was hurt I cathed every 4 hours. Then one day I started to pee all over the place. Grandma said: what the hell are you a dog, marking your way home? So I put on a condom catheter and was fine. Didn't intermittent at all. Seemed to work fine for about 20 years. Only problem was finding a catheter that would stay on. I saw a new urologist about that 20 year mark and she suggested I cath a couple times a day. I cut the first inch or so off the extension of the condom and cath. I pour betadine in first when I disconnect my leg bag tubing (hard, clear plastic, from the hardware store, it doesn't kink and stop the flow like that dam surgical tubing). Then insert the catheter. I will cath an extra time in I'm going out drinking. I cath when I take a shower so I don't pee all over my chair when I get out. Been doing that for 16 years. I also use a reusable leg bag. THat plastic junk sucks. I clean the leg bag with a mix of 50/50 cheap walmart betadine and Dawn ( if its good enough for an oily duck its good enough for me) in the shower. I disassemble the bag once a month and really clean it. I also reuse my catheters. I'm paranoid. I don't trust the people in third world countries, that are making them, have good sanitary conditions. I wash them in the same 50/50 solution in a zip lock, then wash them again with Zest, the law them on a clean towel to dry. I get a year or more out of the leg bags and have had the same catheters for 10 years. I don't get UTI's.
    FORMOST: this works for ME. I have no way of proving it will work for anyone else.