Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man uses power of the mind to walk again

Man uses power of the mind to walk again

https://youtu.be/bfKn92klPeU

i don't know how true this is but just sharing.

In March 1981 Goodman had obtained his pilot's license and had bought his own airplane, a Cessna 172. On March 10, 1981, Goodman took a flight around Chesapeake Bay and the southern tip of the Delmarva Peninsula. Without any warning, the plane's engine lost power. Goodman attempted to maneuver the aircraft back toward the airstrip in Cape Charles, Virginia to make an emergency landing. As he approached the runway, the plane flew through a low-hung set of power lines, crashed to the ground, and flipped over. Goodman broke his C-1 (Atlas) and C-2 (Axis) Cervical vertebrae, and was left fully paralyzed. He was unable to breathe, talk, or swallow on his own,[4] and could only communicate by blinking his eyes.[5]
    After initial treatment at a local hospital in nearby Nassawadox, Virginia Goodman was moved to Norfolk General in Norfolk, Virginia, where surgery was performed. Goodman's sister, Pat Waldo, realized that Goodman was conscious by noticing his limited eye movement. Waldo constructed a series of charts which contained the alphabet and other important subjects, each item correlating to a particular number. Goodman was able to blink his eyes for the number of times to relate to a particular object on each chart, which allowed Goodman to communicate in a limited capacity.[1]
    On April 6, 1981, Goodman was transferred to the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, Virginia. After weeks of intense practice, voluntarily using other abdominal muscles, Goodman was able to take his first breath without the use of a machine.[4] Doctors slowly reduced the settings on Goodman's ventilator until he was finally able to breathe on his own. Soon Goodman began working with speech therapists until he was able to utter a single word - "Mama." On June 1, 1981 Goodman was moved to "The Towers" - a former rehabilitation center at UVA Medical Center where he began to eat, and began working on learning to walk again.[1]
    On July 6, 1981, Goodman was admitted to the Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center in Fishersville, Virginia. With physical therapy and occupational therapy, Goodman continued to work to improve his leg muscle strength and stamina until he could stand on his own. After several weeks, Goodman was able to walk unassisted, and was released on November 13, 1981.[1]
    Last edited by mj23; 08-24-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Blog Entries
    Should be titled, "Man uses power of a luckily mild SCI and spinal shock subsiding to walk again."
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Now, it is crystal clear...for 36 years I just haven't believed enough, worked hard enough, been motivated enough, and used the power of my mind to rise up out of my wheelchair and walk again. Just pitiful!

Sarcasm aside, I am happy for anyone who has suffered a spinal cord injury, and because of the type and circumstances of that injury have been able to walk again. I call that just plain luck!

Yep. Every day for 33yrs I have tried to move my toes. Guess I should give it up - never believed enough. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A Lucky man??
    Last edited by slow_runner; 08-25-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Now, it is crystal clear...for 36 years I just haven't believed enough, worked hard enough, been motivated enough, and used the power of my mind to rise up out of my wheelchair and walk again. Just pitiful!

Sarcasm aside, I am happy for anyone who has suffered a spinal cord injury, and because of the type and circumstances of that injury have been able to walk again. I call that just plain luck!
    It's not the fact that he recovered, that's a truly beautiful thing, and I'm not too righteous to confess I'm envious as hell, but the problem I definitely do have is how it was reported. The mind-over-matter bullshit in the world of scientific medicine went out with the days of spiritual healing. This is the origin of fake-news, yellow journalism, headline sales. Worse yet how could any this man's physician allow such unrealistic conclusion to be drawn. What was the point of 10 yrs of medical studying if a likely scientific hypothesis be scuttled in favor of a hocus pocus story. And where is the responsible reporting? The real crime here, and I choose this word without hesitation, is that this will actually cause the unenlightened reader into believing SCI is more of a state of mind and not a physical defect. After all, what do others see of us when they encounter us as we wheel by them? An otherwise normal-looking lot we appear to them, what with all limbs still attached there are no physical reasons for us not to just to get off our lazy asses and bleeding their wallets to pay for our disability support.
    "Lock him up, (reporter) lock him up "
    Should

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    It's not the fact that he recovered, that's a truly beautiful thing, and I'm not too righteous to confess I'm envious as hell, but the problem I definitely do have is how it was reported. The mind-over-matter bullshit in the world of scientific medicine went out with the days of spiritual healing. This is the origin of fake-news, yellow journalism, headline sales. Worse yet how could any this man's physician allow such unrealistic conclusion to be drawn. What was the point of 10 yrs of medical studying if a likely scientific hypothesis be scuttled in favor of a hocus pocus story. And where is the responsible reporting? The real crime here, and I choose this word without hesitation, is that this will actually cause the unenlightened reader into believing SCI is more of a state of mind and not a physical defect. After all, what do others see of us when they encounter us as we wheel by them? An otherwise normal-looking lot we appear to them, what with all limbs still attached there are no physical reasons for us not to just to get off our lazy asses and bleeding their wallets to pay for our disability support.
    "Lock him up, (reporter) lock him up "
    Should
    And you used my quote with your reply because???...instead of just posting your thoughts about this issue.

i see from the OP post that he crashed and had the spinal cord damage in march 81 , by nov 13, 1981 he was discharged and able to walk unassisted. , the first word an adult forms is "mama"?
    no telling how much function he really had after, unassisted walking could be indoors only walking quad.
    cauda equina

This made the rounds pre-internet as a promotion for his book and VHS video (for sale). I remember getting flyers in the mail using the mailing lists various organizations like ARN and ASIA. There is a religious component to his story as I remember.

As above, very lucky, with a very incomplete SCI. You can't assess the true extent of the injury until spinal shock has subsided; 3-8 weeks. All this story does it make those who didn't get such good return feel guilty that they didn't "want it enough", or "work hard enough in therapy", or "pray enough", or "be a good deserving person". I call BS.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This made the rounds pre-internet as a promotion for his book and VHS video (for sale). I remember getting flyers in the mail using the mailing lists various organizations like ARN and ASIA. There is a religious component to his story as I remember.

As above, very lucky, with a very incomplete SCI. You can't assess the true extent of the injury until spinal shock has subsided; 3-8 weeks. All this story does it make those who didn't get such good return feel guilty that they didn't "want it enough", or "work hard enough in therapy", or "pray enough", or "be a good deserving person". I call BS.

(KLD)
    Well said! Nothing else to add...