Thread: Arthritis

Arthritis

56 year-old w/ C 4-5 incomplete injury 33 years ago. Recently fairly sudden onset of AD sweating on my head when getting into my chair, and pretty violent, lurching spasms when up. Turns out (after numerous tests) it might be arthritis. X-ray shows "moderate amount of arthritis" in my spine and hips. Tried 2 Aleve before getting up this morning, and all seems to be better except for one big spasm. But only been up three hours and I truly HATE taking any meds I don't absolutely HAVE to take. But maybe I have to (I sure don't FEEL that old [grin]). Anyone with experience taking Aleve or other anti-inflammatories long-term? Any side-effects? Any other/better treatments? The suddenness of the symptoms leads me to believe it's something other than arthritis, but who knows?

There are risks and side effect to taking Aleve, naproxen sodium, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) long term. Some of the side effects can show up pretty quickly, like stomach pain and heart burn. More serious side effects are bleeding and ulcers. If you are taking blood thinners, Aleve can have an impact on your clotting factor.

If you are a person at risk for heart attack, stroke, liver, or kidney disease, Aleve can increase your risks.

Talk to your doctor about this situation and meanwhile, take the lowest dose for the shortest period of time. I think the package recommendation for pain is two tablets. But, maybe you can experiment and try taking only one Aleve and see if you can get by on the lower dose.

Maybe nurse will chime in here. I'm curious about the severe spasms being related to arthritis?
    I've tried Aleve for shoulder pain - arthritis and bone spurs - in the past and felt it made me "loopy" and stopped it. Met with osteopath MD and was told to try rotating ibuprofen and acetaminophen. (That is, don't take a steady dose of either one of them, alternate them).
    This has worked for me. I'm Polio paralyzed not SCI, so don't know if these over the counter meds would help you.

I had a similar experience. I think the arthritis creeps up on you until suddenly your body can't manage it anymore. I found stretching, moving and keeping active through the pain does help. I take motrin only when I need it. I can't take any of the other NSAID's for other reasons. I would encourage you to see a PT and maybe an OT for adaptive devices. You might find that certain things (weather changes, for example) aggravate it and then take the Aleve. I tried all different things til I found the combination that works best for me. You ned to see someone who can help you sort out what works for you. Welcome to the over 50 club!
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am a C 6-7 complete about seven and a half years post-injury. I had very little spasticity until about last January when I noticed that whenever I fully extended my hips, as in laying down in bed, I would get 15 to 20 seconds of pretty violent leg spasms accompanied buy some crunching sound that seemed to come from my hips. Interestingly, I would also have 15 or 20 seconds of spasticity when I'm made the first even tiny motion after waking up in the morning. That got slowly worse for a few months and I finally went to an orthopedic doc who diagnosed it as advanced arthritis in both hips. He commented that if I were not paralyzed I'd probably still have a hard time walking from the arthritis. It seems to be getting worse very slowly. I don't feel any specific discomfort, though I believe this may be contributing to my lower back pain which I've had since injury but seems to be getting a little bit worse lately. I don't get much AD from it. I don't take any meds to treat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad Kings View Post
    56 year-old w/ C 4-5 incomplete injury 33 years ago. Recently fairly sudden onset of AD sweating on my head when getting into my chair, and pretty violent, lurching spasms when up. Tried 2 Aleve before getting up this morning, and all seems to be better except for one big spasm. The suddenness of the symptoms leads me to believe it's something other than arthritis, but who knows?
    I am a C5/6, your symptoms match what I experienced the last time I had kidney stones. They passed without intervention but it was on and off AD and strong spasms for two months.

A large study proved long-term use of Ibuprofen to be strongly linked to hearing loss among elders.

My arthritic pain comes at night ... can't sit, can't lay down (on an air mattress!). I take two extra strength Aleve and 10mg Melatonin just to sleep ... and sometimes that doesn't work. Thinking of switching to CBD oil pills. This was on/off for years and lately, every night (past year maybe?)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12