Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get measured for a suit?

How to get measured for a suit?

hi everyone!

so my cousin is getting married in about a month and this is the first time that I?ll be seeing all of my extended family in several years so I know I?m gonna be getting the ?thoughts and prayers? stuff on repeat.

I want to look good so I want to get a nice suit tailored but I?m not sure where to begin. As a quad, my proportions are slightly different from normal people (i.e. my arms and legs are thinner than usual). I just wanted to hear about other peoples experience. I also have a pretty sizable quad belly which I will wear a abdominal binder for but I just wanted to know whether or not people here had alternative solutions.

My son had good luck at Men’s Warehouse. But any good men’s store or department should be able to help if they have experienced tailors on board. Also, a good tux shop can help you as well and you can probably rent a beautiful suit if you didn’t want to buy. Hope this helps!!

I was invited to an "affair" some years ago and called around about renting a tux. I would explain that I used a chair: I got a lot of hemming and hawing, then one place said yes we have tux and will fit you. I began to add some of my questions and concerns, when the man on the phone "Sir I am a professional tailor it is my job to make you look good." He did.
    Look for a guy like that.

If you are renting a tuxedo, there is a style called a waiter tux. It is shorter in the back and front and a different cut than a regular men's tuxedo jacket and works well for a man who uses a wheelchair. Ask your rental agency what they can supply in that style. As for the pants, go for a very long inseam that goes down past the top of your shoes when you are seated. Whatever your inseam was when you were standing, you can probably go for 3-4 inches more to cover your socks and skim the tops of your shoes.

Die

Kidding aside, I play in a band and regalia for formal concerts call for black suit or tux.

I found the perfect solution: online, a serving jacket. Looks just like a tux, ends at the seat of the chair, and was like $40!!
    It's perfect of PLU (people like us)...and comfy!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Die

Kidding aside, I play in a band and regalia for formal concerts call for black suit or tux.

I found the perfect solution: online, a serving jacket. Looks just like a tux, ends at the seat of the chair, and was like $40!!
    It's perfect of PLU (people like us)...and comfy!
    Yes, waiters or servers coat (also called Eaton, Elton, or Spencer jackets) is what I've worn before. After Six used to make one that was in the Michael Jordan Collection. You will probably have the best luck finding this type coat at a uniform supply company. The problem may be that not all blacks are the same black and when you pair the coat with black pants you may have a difference in color, texture, and/or sheen. When buying pants for a suit or tuxedo, select a longer inseam than you would have worn standing. I used to wear a 36 inseam, now I buy 38 or 39 inch inseams so that there is less sock showing.

If you aren't looking for a tuxedo, you can have a tailor shorten a coat for you. When I was working and expected work attire was suit and tie, I had a number of coats shortened. It can be a little pricey, but it is worth getting the proportions more appropriate to your seated position.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

thank you so much for all of the advice. I’m going to stop by Men’s Wearhouse over the weekend to talk to them about my situation. I won’t forget to mention all of the various advice that was given. i’m not that familiar with some of the terminology so I guess a professional would be much better at it.

I'm late to this, but wanted to add that I have several suits and have always been well taken care of by the salesperson and tailor.

I always leave my jacket open and only button it to take pictures. Leaving it open allows more movement in the shoulders and it looks better like that because we're sitting down all the time. (the rule of thumb anyway is to have it buttoned while standing and open while seated). I also go for a two-button jacket as a three-button is a little too formal and restricting for my taste.

Jackets come in long, regular, and short so try on the short first before you go hunting for or special order a unique cut.

This is how I wear mine - normal jacket, short length.

This guy's got what looks like a three-button jacket with heavy alterations to get the fabric out of his wheels. This kind of tailoring takes away a lot of fabric. If you do this, keep in mind that the jacket will ride up and may not look as good from behind if it exposes your shirt and belt.

This is why I always leave my jacket unbuttoned. It just looks shit when you're pushing around.
    Last edited by brian; 09-01-2018 at 09:04 PM.

I keep my wheels as narrow as possible for clearing doorways. That creates the challenge of keeping the jacket from rubbing against the wheels. I find fabric guards don't do the trick. The jacket just rides above and over them. This is one reason why I refuse to wear suits or live on the east coast (or anywhere else) where you have to wear coats. But I understand there may be a special occasion where a suit is required. The server jacket is great idea. I haven't tried it. But it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Jackets come in long, regular, and short so try on the short first before you go hunting for or special order a unique cut.
    The problem with a "short" or even a "regular" if you are a tall guy with a 6+ foot "wing span," you can't get sleeves long enough, even if you have the sleeves altered. There just isn't enough fabric to make a "short" or even a "regular" length coat work for a tall guy.