Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get measured for a suit?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Jackets come in long, regular, and short so try on the short first before you go hunting for or special order a unique cut.
    The problem with a "short" or even a "regular" if you are a tall guy with a 6+ foot "wing span," you can't get sleeves long enough, even if you have the sleeves altered. There just isn't enough fabric to make a "short" or even a "regular" length coat work for a tall guy.
    Sure. I was only speaking to fabric getting caught in the wheels.

If you're long, tall, or wide, your tailor and salesperson should be able to make alterations accordingly to long jacket to get fabric out of the wheels.
    Or go to a 'big and tall' store like http://www.destinationxl.com and get an XLong size. If they won't or can't alter the jacket how you like, buy it and take it to an independent alterations store.

Sure. I was only speaking to fabric getting caught in the wheels.

If you're long, tall, or wide, your tailor and salesperson should be able to make alterations accordingly to long jacket to get fabric out of the wheels.
    Or go to a 'big and tall' store like http://www.destinationxl.com and get an XLong size. If they won't or can't alter the jacket how you like, buy it and take it to an independent alterations store.
    Been there done that over 36+ years. Probably have 15 suits and 5 sports coats that have been altered Be aware Big and Tall doesn't in any way mean Tall and Slim.

(this isn't to you, specifically, gjnl. general information)

Bespoke suit makers exist, but I know that's very pricey and beyond the reach of many.

Someone out there wants to make your perfect suit. You just need to find them and figure out if it's worth the cost.

I have had a few bespoke shirts made for me and while expensive, it fit perfectly and was worth every penny. A very expensive suit may be worth the money if you're not growing anymore (both up and out). I'm still wearing suits I bought 10 years ago.

(this isn't to you, specifically, gjnl. general information)

Bespoke suit makers exist, but I know that's very pricey and beyond the reach of many.

Someone out there wants to make your perfect suit. You just need to find them and figure out if it's worth the cost.

I have had a few bespoke shirts made for me and while expensive, it fit perfectly and was worth every penny. A very expensive suit may be worth the money if you're not growing anymore (both up and out). I'm still wearing suits I bought 10 years ago.
    A bench made suit is a good idea, and may be pretty reasonable once you get the first one made. I'd suggest going on line to to find adaptive clothing companies that might do custom work. If you can find a company that already understands the adaptations necessary, it is going to make it a lot easier to get across the ideas about what you need.

Many years ago (long before the internet), I tried a custom tailor. He made a suit for me with two pairs of pants. Pants wear out a lot quicker than coats. Somehow, the tailor never understood that I wanted more length in the back rise, less in the front, and a shortened coat, but with proportionately placed pocket flaps. The tailor made the suit, but even though he worked for a while to get it right, he lost interest and wouldn't work on the suit again. I never wore it. So it is really important to be able to show the tailor your ideas though pictures you find on line.