Thread: Diversion Proctitis what are the symptoms for spinal core injury patients?

Diversion Proctitis what are the symptoms for spinal core injury patients?

My CNA has noticed that in the last week I have had them sort of discharge from my rectum. Just enough to soil the chucks and with a bad odor despite having a colonoscopy. I came across a thread from five years ago of people talking about stool coming from rectum. One very knowledgeable user had a name for it. They said it was Diversion Proctitis. They also mentioned remedies for it which includes using enemas to clear out the residual intestines. They also said there might be some pain associated with it. I've had some health issues which nobody can pinpoint and I am wondering what the symptoms are of Diversion Proctitis are associated with people with spinal cord injuries?

By the way, I don't recall the surgeon telling me I needed to use an enema to prevent this from happening.

The last year has been one of the hardest of my 31 years as a spinal cord injury patient. I don't want to add to the burden of care that is already given. I don't want to add another routine about having to do enemas on a regular basis when I thought the colostomy was supposed to relieve some of the burden of a bowel program which it has. It's just one more thing that seems to be piling on an already heavy load to endure.

Thank you for listening and thank you for replying.
    Last edited by PimpinGimp; 08-19-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Sorry to hear that you're struggling with all the shit that befalls us. You get a colostomy and suddenly shit just rains down. Interesting visual

I guess after all these years my sense of humor has gotten a little twisted!

I had my colostomy Feb 2012. It was romantic for a couple/three years, then I started with the discharges which quickly became large enough to require a chux in bed and diapers when up, which REALLY sucks! I made the rounds with three GI doctors. It was explained to me that this sometimes happens; the flora of the lower bowel feeds on shit, and when not fed, they generate all kinds of discharge. Their gambits included short chain fatty enimas and several other off formulary ($$) things to shove up my ass, none of which seems to do a thing.
    Their consecus: remove as much of the unused bowel and rectum as was possible otrthoscopically. This process (seeing 3 GIs) lasted just over a year, at which time I got the surgery.
    I still get a small amount of discharge, but it is manageable.

My story seems to be in the minority around here, so maybe you shouldn't freak out prematurely! And if you want, I still have some un-used expensive suppositories I'd give you if you wanted.
    You might edit your avatar area to include your injury level and location.
    Good luck with everything.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

It may not be as severe as diversion proctitis. It is common for the residual lower bowel (rectum and sigmoid colon) to continue to produce mucous after a colostomy above this. The amount of mucous varies from person to person.

We recommend a once or twice monthly small volume enema (like a Fleets) through the anus to keep this mucous cleaned out and to prevent it from drying out and becoming a mucolith which is sort like a mucous stone. If you have a mucolith in the sigmoid or rectum already, the irritation of this mass can actually make your bowel produce more mucous, and increase leakage. A mucolith in the rectal vault can often be felt by a gloved finger, but if it is in the sigmoid it may not be detectable unless you get a sigmoid scope or have an ultrasound of the area.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

@pfcs49 thank you for your reply. You have provided me with great information. I only became aware of this stuff as of this morning. I have an appointment with UC health wounded ostomy clinic here in Colorado. Hopefully they can provide me with some help with this and other issues I am currently experiencing.

@SCI-Nurse this is all new to me and I have had a colostomy for 10 years. Once every second year I would get discharge. Usually from a bout of rigorous spasming. For almost a year I have had severe spasms enough to send me to the emergency room they were so uncontrollable. I also suffered from severe stomach pain. Even more than usual. Which is all the time. Long story short after CAT scan showed I had both bladder and gallbladder stones. I had the bladder stones removed. Thinking that would be the cause of the severe spasming. But that wasn't the case. They initially went away only to come back as well as having the severe stomach pain. I am embarrassed to say how many he removed. Definitely will make more appointments to see a urologist more often.The surgeon who I saw about the gallbladder stones said there was nothing he could do unless it got worse. So now the discharge has occurred over a couple of days and I am wondering if severe stomach pain and spasming could be coming from diversion proctitis. I have an appointment with UC health wound in ostomy clinic here in Colorado. I will certainly ask about what I have learned from you excellent people who have responded in other threads and have to this one as well.

Please keep us posted on your progress in this decision.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.