Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other SCI forums

Natural progression, communities have moved from newsgroups, bulletin boards, the likes of CIX, file sharing sites with chat like Carracho to forums then facebook, Instagram etc. I've spent the last 25 + years using them all. Most of my time is on facebook but that is also a tool for work. Don't do much SCI related browsing there though.

I find the CC site invaluable. Just wish many more members would contribute. To me, it's somewhat like a "club" where you can privately discuss common issues that would not interest most folks on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    FYI (For Your Information), if you type site:sci.rutgers.edu in the search box, in addition to your search criteria, google and DuckDuckGo will do a site specific search, only returning results from the site you want.
    We are saying the same thing, don't you think. All I do is type Care Cure and my search term into Google or Duck Duck search boxes and generally find exactly what I want instead of using the vBulletin search.

By the by...I typed wholeful and meant to woeful. Typing with quad typing stick not always easy.

One reason I think this happens, and I'm guilty of it too, is that new members/injuries come here for answers. Most just browse, some ask questions. But once you've been in a chair long enough to figure out how all this works, you don't need as much information, and therefore aren't as active on the forums. That puts the biggest problem being that experienced members don't stick around to answer these questions.

Also, the fact that as the years go by and thousands of topics are made, the higher the chance of being able to search for a question you have that has already been answered. The more answered questions we have the less there is a need to post them. Obviously things change over time, and one answer in the past may not apply in the same way today, but a lot of them will hold up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    We are saying the same thing, don't you think. All I do is type Care Cure and my search term into Google or Duck Duck search boxes and generally find exactly what I want instead of using the vBulletin search.

By the by...I typed wholeful and meant to woeful. Typing with quad typing stick not always easy.
    Not precisely the same thing, no, but if that works for you, that's the point, I reckon. My suggestion eliminates all results from other websites by restricting the search to only this site (or whichever site you want to search). Using just the site name as a search parameter yields lots of extraneous non-CareCure results.

See for yourself; these 2 DuckDuckGo searches bring back quite different result sets:

Wheelchair Care Cure Commumity

vs

wheelchair site:sci.rutgers.edu

The latter is a much better result set if searching CareCure is the point, IMO. Just trying to make it even easier. Although I never fail to find what I'm looking for with the little search box on top of this page, but to each their own.
    Last edited by Oddity; 08-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Natural progression, communities have moved from newsgroups, bulletin boards, the likes of CIX, file sharing sites with chat like Carracho to forums then facebook, Instagram etc. I've spent the last 25 + years using them all. Most of my time is on facebook but that is also a tool for work. Don't do much SCI related browsing there though.
    Heh, I remember newsgroups. And dialup, lol. Things surely do progress over time. Facebook is creepy in my view though. I sampled it for the first time recently and deleted my account shortly thereafter. WAYY too tracky and intrusive IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Not precisely the same thing, no, but if that works for you, that's the point, I reckon. My suggestion eliminates all results from other websites by restricting the search to only this site (or whichever site you want to search). Using just the site name as a search parameter yields lots of extraneous non-CareCure results.

See for yourself; these 2 DuckDuckGo searches bring back quite different result sets:

Wheelchair Care Cure Commumity

vs

wheelchair site:sci.rutgers.edu

The latter is a much better result set if searching CareCure is the point, IMO. Just trying to make it even easier. Although I never fail to find what I'm looking for with the little search box on top of this page, but to each their own.

When I search vBulletin I get a fair number of threads where my search term may be mentioned. But, the problem is when there is a thread that is a number of pages long, I'm not taken to the exact post reference where the term appears. I have found that I have to read through pages and pages of material in a thread to find the term for which I am looking. Searching on a dedicated search site seems to yield results quicker and more accurately than vBulletin search.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Heh, I remember newsgroups. And dialup, lol. Things surely do progress over time. Facebook is creepy in my view though. I sampled it for the first time recently and deleted my account shortly thereafter. WAYY too tracky and intrusive IMO
    If anyone can make sense of what I post on Facebook they are doing better than me. Seem to avoid being used as a political tool as I don't share much and have no paranoia with anyone trying to track or advertise to me. Plus no anonymity unlike almost every form of social media that predates it.

Alt.Rec.Facebook haha

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    If anyone can make sense of what I post on Facebook they are doing better than me. Seem to avoid being used as a political tool as I don't share much and have no paranoia with anyone trying to track or advertise to me. Plus no anonymity unlike almost every form of social media that predates it.

Alt.Rec.Facebook haha
    a.b.p.e.....now there was the true purpose of the internet, lol.

I joined Facebook, ran into a bunch of names I haven't seen in a while and others I have seen. Probably email associations I'm guessing. Then I 'friended' someone from here and things got really weird. A ridiculous amount of 'do you know' suggestions for people whose apparent sole purpose in life is advertising their wheelchair disability on social media. Fucking bizarre. I don't want to have Facebook's association engine bombarding people I know with wheelchair stuff, might seem unseemly. So I just deleted my Facebook account...I like my life compartmentalized and my online presence not being based upon a disability association.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I like my life compartmentalized and my online presence not being based upon a disability association.
    I agree with this.

I haven't yet deleted facebook because I have some nostalgia for the days when you had to be in college and have a .edu email to sign up for it and you could post whatever you wanted and only your peers would see it.

But I have to temporarily suspend my account everytime I apply for a job or school or whatever, and I haven't posted anything in like 4 or 5 years. I think about half the time I log in it is to delete information about myself (how the hell does facebook know where I'm living now? I never told them) or update my privacy policies or unlink my name from drunken photos my friends have posted.

If facebook wasn't my one and only source of photographs of myself and my friends from our college days I would have already deleted it. I'm thinking about changing my name to something obscure and then creating a new facebook that is purely professional and only friending business colleagues and posting very professional, studious looking photos of myself. but I guess I'll have to have some professional, studious looking photos taken before I can get that far...

No way would I join an online disability focused facebook group... I'm not sure if that means I've become too old to use facebook or if it somehow associates me with the hip, young crowd that are too cool for facebook in the first place.