Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Other SCI forums

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    posting very professional, studious looking photos of myself.
    Why stop with yourself? I'd surmise that the HR people scanning social media, apparently holding those platforms in high regard, probably have no clue as to what you actually look like as they are amongst the probable autism spectrum types that cant seem to get unglued from their phones no matter the venue. So go for the gold...use stock photos of model-grade subjects doing important looking tasks. The phone will be ringing off the hook with job offers!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The concern I have always had about posting replies to questions asked is that I will give out incorrect information. What I do and, what works for me does not always work for others. I end up feeling and looking like an idiot. So, I remain silent except when I get into a manic state of mind and get my fingers bloody from typing. (just kidding) Although there is a bit of repetition on questions, it should be answered with just as much sincerity as any of them. Finally, I don't like the idea of just answering a question just for the sake of racking up record numbers of posts
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    a.b.p.e.....now there was the true purpose of the internet, lol.

I joined Facebook, ran into a bunch of names I haven't seen in a while and others I have seen. Probably email associations I'm guessing. Then I 'friended' someone from here and things got really weird. A ridiculous amount of 'do you know' suggestions for people whose apparent sole purpose in life is advertising their wheelchair disability on social media. Fucking bizarre. I don't want to have Facebook's association engine bombarding people I know with wheelchair stuff, might seem unseemly. So I just deleted my Facebook account...I like my life compartmentalized and my online presence not being based upon a disability association.
    Hmm, probably the opposite for me in that I maintain a similar profile pre/post SCI but post I'm just a bit different. Working in the pedal bike industry isn't easy when disabled and I have no option other than making my disability visible. That is reflected in my Facebook posts plus the interviews that I do about the challenges of working with bikes with no use of hands or legs. At the same time I will describe what I go through on Facebook, it helps friends and work mates understand. Recently reduced anti spasm meds, posted on Facebook to say that I might twitch and move If you met me at an upcoming mountain bike event. Got to it, sat chatting with someone and the bg spasms start. He wasn't phased, just said "oh, that was what you meant".

I guess it comes down to the individual, I still have the same friends and they don't see me as disabled just with a body different to what I was but mentally the same me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    The concern I have always had about posting replies to questions asked is that I will give out incorrect information. What I do and, what works for me does not always work for others. I end up feeling and looking like an idiot. So, I remain silent except when I get into a manic state of mind and get my fingers bloody from typing. (just kidding) Although there is a bit of repetition on questions, it should be answered with just as much sincerity as any of them. Finally, I don't like the idea of just answering a question just for the sake of racking up record numbers of posts
    I think most people understand a lot of advice given on here may be unique to the individual giving it. While it may not apply to most people, usually someone is in the same situation and could benefit. So don't shy away from sharing things that work for you.

I agree with Brad.
    Folks don't come here for professional advice, they come for personal experience of others. Frankly, if one comes here looking for advice and takes it as "professional" advice, then they need help mentally, as well as physically. Of course, there is the old adage; if you read it on the internet, it must be true.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I agree with Brad, too. Most of us are looking for suggestions and help with issues the general public doesn't deal with on a daily basis. We've had medical advice til it's coming out our ears, but for practical help there's nothing like learning what others in the same boat have done...not taking anything as gospel for everyone, but considering things we might try for ourselves. Your posts are always helpful, bigtop1.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I'm the Luddite who still doesn't have a Facebook page. My SCI husband does not like to talk about himself. Do those sites accept spouses?[/QUOTE]

I too don?t understand all of the self-promotional social network stuff these days, To celebrities really Expect that we want to just hear about every time they sneeze?