Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kidney stones being produced in one kidney only

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    [SIZE=2]

https://www.insideradiology.com.au/n...ne-renal-scan/

An indwelling catheter is needed for the study, and you also drink a large amount of water right before the start of the study so that your kidneys are challenged to filter a lot of urine from the blood stream during the study.

It is one of the few imaging studies that can differentiate the function of one kidney vs. the other.

(KLD)
    I have had this study done twice, the last time 2 months ago, and I do not have an indwelling catheter. I bring a diaper, we expect a mess, but so far that has not happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    I have had this study done twice, the last time 2 months ago, and I do not have an indwelling catheter. I bring a diaper, we expect a mess, but so far that has not happened.
    We still use an indwelling catheter, as you should not have any impediment to the flow of urine from you kidneys, down your ureters into the bladder, and out of your body, or it can give you false results from the scanning.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My right kidney kept getting stones and turned into a infection magnet. The left one eventually took over and the right one had to go. The surgery wasn't too bad. Definitely inconvenient, but I was expecting much worse. I hope everything goes well for you.

Thank you for the feedback mnire and tetracyclone. Don't take my kidney out yet though.

I've only had two large stones get stuck in the ureter and cause infections over 2-3 years. The same kidney has produced 6 stones in total. I have not had an issue with perpetual UTIs.

The first stone was identified in the kidney in 2012 and the urologist said we would monitor it but not remove it. The first stone got stuck in the ureter in Dec 2015. The second stone in April 2018. The 3rd - 6th stones were in the kidney in April 2018 but the urologist didn't want to deal with them until the one in the ureter was removed. I've since had the 3rd-6th stones removed.

After the first stone, I had the 24 hour urine specimen study done. That was somewhat insightful but not specifically actionable to me (no smoking guns to address).

The urologist has made no mention of kidney removal at this point.
    Last edited by Patton57; 08-20-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Thank you for the feedback mnire and tetracyclone. Don't take my kidney out yet though.

I've only had two large stones get stuck in the ureter and cause infections over 2-3 years. The same kidney has produced 6 stones in total. I have not had an issue with perpetual UTIs.

The first stone was identified in the kidney in 2012 and the urologist said we would monitor it but not remove it. The first stone got stuck in the ureter in Dec 2015. The second stone in April 2018. The 3rd - 6th stones were in the kidney in April 2018 but the urologist didn't want to deal with them until the one in the ureter was removed. I've since had the 3rd-6th stones removed.

After the first stone, I had the 24 hour urine specimen study done. That was somewhat insightful but not specifically actionable to me (no smoking guns to address).

The urologist has made no mention of kidney removal at this point.
    Unless a kidney were causing life-threatening problems removal would not be mentioned nor appropriate. It is a complicated operation which requires quite a bit of rehab afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Unless a kidney were causing life-threatening problems removal would not be mentioned nor appropriate. It is a complicated operation which requires quite a bit of rehab afterward.
    Very true. Mine handled all the problems for over 12 years, so I was surprised when they said it had to come out. I had also gotten sepsis a few times after kidney stone procedures so that also factored into the decision. I didn't do any rehab though, but I was only in the hospital 3 days