Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney stones being produced in one kidney only

Kidney stones being produced in one kidney only

My left kidney has produced 6 stones over the last 2-3 years in the 1-1.7 cm range in size. The right kidney hasn't produced any.

Is there a reason one kidney would produce stones like this and the other one wouldn't? I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out why the stones are occuring. I've had the 24 hour dietary study done but I don't know why just the one kidney is producing the stones.

Do you sleep on your left side? Prior to my injury, I formed stones on both sides but mostly on the left and my urologist told me stones tend to form on the side you sleep on (there’s increased blood flow, maybe?). Since I got squished I sleep on my back and stone distribution has been pretty equal. Maybe it’s all an old wives tale - I’m a data set of one.

I sleep on my back. I wondered if it may have something to do with my sitting posture though.

Any difference in your ureters (on ultrasound or CT)??? Either stenosis, reflux, or hydronephrosis on one side vs. the other could make a difference.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My urologist said both ureters are large (via cystoscope). The left kidney showed hydronephrosis before removing a large stone blocking the left ureter. It returned back to normal size shortly after the bloackage was removed. In 2012, my bladder study showed no reflux.
    Last edited by Patton57; 08-18-2018 at 10:01 PM.

One of your kidneys may be weaker, thus have slower flow than the one that gets no stones. I had a large stone on the right for years which docs just watched until they saw an impairment of function (flow rate). In hindsight I would have asked them to get it out immediately, as that kidney progressively weakened until now it has very little function and has become swamp that nurtures bacteria and more stones. If it gets worse and causes health problems it is a major operation to remove it. Ugh.

A renal scan could show any difference in function between your kidneys.

Just because you had no reflux with your (urodynamics?) study in 2012 does not mean you don't have reflux now. Discuss that with your urologist.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A renal scan could show any difference in function between your kidneys.

Just because you had no reflux with your (urodynamics?) study in 2012 does not mean you don't have reflux now. Discuss that with your urologist.

(KLD)
    Yes, it was a urodynamics study.

What does the renal scan consist of?

What is a nuclear medicine renal (kidney) scan?

In a nuclear medicine renal scan, images, or pictures, are taken of fluid going into the kidneys through the bloodstream, the filtered wastes from the blood in the kidneys and the flow or drainage of the waste into the bladder through the ureters (that join the kidneys to the bladder).

A nuclear medicine renal scan uses radiopharmaceuticals (radioactive medications) injected into a vein, usually in the arm, to provide clear images of the kidneys taken with a special camera called a gamma camera. The scan can be carried out using one of two different radiopharmaceuticals – DTPA (diethylene triamine pentaacetic acid) or MAG3 (mercaptoacetyletriglycine). They are similar medications, but MAG3 gives significantly clearer images in some patients, particularly very young children and those patients with poor kidney function.

https://www.insideradiology.com.au/n...ne-renal-scan/

An indwelling catheter is needed for the study, and you also drink a large amount of water right before the start of the study so that your kidneys are challenged to filter a lot of urine from the blood stream during the study.

It is one of the few imaging studies that can differentiate the function of one kidney vs. the other.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    [SIZE=2]

https://www.insideradiology.com.au/n...ne-renal-scan/

An indwelling catheter is needed for the study, and you also drink a large amount of water right before the start of the study so that your kidneys are challenged to filter a lot of urine from the blood stream during the study.

It is one of the few imaging studies that can differentiate the function of one kidney vs. the other.

(KLD)
    Thank you KLD, I'll suggest this to my urologist and advocate for him to do this scan.