Thread: Legbag tubing

Legbag tubing

I've been buying the UroSafe bags and really like them because they work well with the wide leg straps we have-

https://www.allegromedical.com/cathe...s-p192446.html

But I can't seem to find tubing for the inlet side that fit's snug enough. The tubing I bought from Allegro fit but was loose and would pull off to easily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkleinsmith View Post
    I've been buying the UroSafe bags and really like them because they work well with the wide leg straps we have-

https://www.allegromedical.com/cathe...s-p192446.html

But I can't seem to find tubing for the inlet side that fit's snug enough. The tubing I bought from Allegro fit but was loose and would pull off to easily

Thanks
    Urocare has a white-rubber extension tube with a straight connector. The tubing has an inside diameter (I.D.) of 5/16 inch and is 18 inches long.The straight connector is 3/8 inch x 2.25 inches long. I use the same vinyl bag and this tubing fits the tapered, barbed connector at the top of the bag very well. The Urocare order number for this package is 6016.

The tubing is too long for my use, so I cut the tubing in half, use the end with the connector for 2-3 weeks. When I change leg bags, I remove the straight connector from the old tubing, clean it and insert it into the other half of the tubing and use that for the next bag that I wear for 2-3 weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-18-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks you very much!

I've been cutting off about 3/8" from the caterer when I change it. Seems my caths aren't tapered at the end but are tubular and not very elastic!
    Before cutting off the tip, the cath wasn't very secure; now the length of the tapered part engages and it's like a Chinese handcuff.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I jus super glue my tube to the bag. No accidents as yets.

I use clear plastic tubing I get ar the hardware store.

I do not recommend Urocare's white tubing for use with Leg Bags as the rubber is thin and too flexible - it can very easily get pinched or crimped. Plus, it's so damn expensive, last I checked. There was, like, a 50% price jump about 2 years ago even as they went to a thinner tube that used less material.

BaldFatDad has it right. Hardware stores sell clear plastic tubing in various diameters for pennies compared to the Urocare. And it's usually thick vinyl which will prohibit crimping and pinching. And at the hardware store you can usually buy it by the foot. Get just what you need and nothing more.

Non-sterile tubing is fine if you are using an external condom catheter, but if you are using an indwelling catheter, the tubing should be sterile. Hardware store tubing is not sterile.

You might want to look at a different brand of leg bag, such as Bard or Hollister, which come in kits (leg bag, extension tubing with connector, and non-latex straps).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Urocare supplies white rubber tubing, same as above, but in sterile packaging. The order reference number is 6017.

Urocare supplies clear vinyl tubing in sterile packaging, see below.

For what it is worth, I have been using 9 inch lengths of Urocare white rubber tubing between my supra pubic catheter and my leg bag, which I wear on my upper thigh, for 7 years, and never had an issue with kinking. Maybe if you use a longer length or wear your leg bag in a different position, your experience may be different than mine.

"dkleinsmith," in your post above, you reference wide leg straps that you use. Are they the Urocare fabric straps? Have you tried the Urocare cloth leg bag holders? They are a bit small for the 32 ounce bag, but I have been using the leg bag holders for a long time, now, (with the 32 ounce bags) and find they offer better support of the bag than the cloth straps, especially when the bag is over half full. I toss the latex straps when I open the leg bag package, they are useless.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-20-2018 at 12:59 PM.

We found these leg bag straps work really well with the Uro Safe leg bags mentioned in my original post.

https://www.allegromedical.com/brows...1124199879320d