Thread: Putting a restart icon on the desktop

Blog Entries

Putting a restart icon on the desktop

I have a PC with still Windows 7. Can anyone tell me how to put a restart icon on the desktop to simplify things?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I have a PC with still Windows 7. Can anyone tell me how to put a restart icon on the desktop to simplify things?
    You want to create a "shortcut" on the desktop that runs the appropriate command.

ONE way to do this:

• right click on some empty space on the desktop (i.e., not on an open window or an icon)
    • select "New" and then "Shortcut" from the cascaded menus that appear
    • in the "location" box that appears, type "shutdown.exe /r /t 00"
    • click "Next"
    • type something to remind yourself of the role this shortcut plays (i.e., "Restart the Computer")
    • click "Finish"

Note that this is an immediate restart (the "00" argument to the "/t" switch says "wait 00 seconds")

You can similarly create a "shut down" shortcut by replacing the "/r" (Restart) switch with "/s" (Shutdown)

Once the shortcut icon appears on the screen, you can move it to someplace convenient (or, INconvenient, as the case may be!).

You can also make the icon a bit less boring (generic) by right clicking on the icon and selecting "Properties" from the menu. Then, click on "Change icon..." A dialog will appear telling you that the "shutdown.exe" command doesn't contain any icons. Acknowledge this by clicking on "OK". You are then given a selection of "standard" icons to choose from (there are others available, as well). Pick something that you won't accidentally mistake for something more benign!