Thread: Challenges of getting properly fitted wheelchair for Women?s body shapes

Challenges of getting properly fitted wheelchair for Women?s body shapes

I am having an awful time getting correct measurements on my wheelchair. I don?t think it helps that I am not of average size (4?11 93 lbs). Literally every ATP around here is 6 ft tall males so they just don?t get it.Insurance recently changed and the new PT that does seating evals is also male. I used to know exactly how to measure myself and what was comfortable so I paid out of pocket online. but my needs changed hence why I?m getting a new chair and now need some proper input. I know what position I want my hips knees and feet but nothing these guys have spec?d out seem like it will hold me in the position that I want. It seems very roomy and big. But my current chair is definitely too small. Just doesn?t seem like we are finding the happy medium. Anyone else share my sentiment?

It would help a lot if you would complete your profile? We don't even know what country you live in, nor what your disability is, nor your age or time since onset.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The first chair I was measured for was 20 inches wide. I am 4'10". I couldn't use it at all. I am pretty overweight and have a 16in width chair now that works well. I use side guards (small ones) so I don't need to worry about a snug fit. I like the snug fit actually, I feel more stable. Do you have side guards now? If so you can be quite snug ans not worry about touching the wheels. Can you demo different chair widths, with and without side guards? If you aren't happy with the measurments, don't agree to them.

Blog Entries
    If you can find an Icon dealer, you can purchase a chair that will be configurable to fit you perfectly. Here is a list of dealers: http://iconwheelchairs.com/where-to-buy/
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury