Thread: Cushion covers

Cushion covers

So why is it that all the wheelchair covers are black? Why are they not made with an absorbent material like cloth diapers are made. A polyester cover with something like zorb to wick away moisture. My butt always sweats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    So why is it that all the wheelchair covers are black? Why are they not made with an absorbent material like cloth diapers are made. A polyester cover with something like zorb to wick away moisture. My butt always sweats.
    I suppose black is a color that will go with all colors of chairs and shows less soil and spills than other colors. That said, I've seen some cushion covers called Mojo for Roho series cushions in camouflage, zebra and tiger stripe, and bargello.

As to using an absorbent material, some kind of liner would have to be used that can be removed before washing the cover. A liner may interfere with the covers ability to conform to the cushion and the user's bottom. Absorbent materials may lump or bunch up as they absorb moisture and cause pressure. Roho claims that their cushion covers are breathable, but I know what you are saying about sweating while seated, even with a so called breathable cushion cover. Somewhere, maybe in the Roho user guides, I read a caution that medical sheepskins and "chux" disposable pads should not be placed on top of the cushion covers. Other manufacturers may have similar warnings with regard to their cushion covers.

I've got them in a bunch of colors. I sew my own. But black is best. Goes with anything. I've sewn sheepskin on some, but it looks bad after a couple days: dirt. I'm trying some fleece now, that just slips on the cushion so I can change it every day. Lots of butt ups and some people can use antiperspirant to help, but be careful it doesn't clog your pours and cause other problems.

Keep in mind that ideally most cushion covers should be of a stretchy material, or you risk hammocking with prevents you from sinking into/becoming engulfed by your cushion material, and can significantly reduce your cushions effectiveness in pressure reduction.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    Supracor covers breath which is why I use Supracor cushions. If they work for you, that should check off one of your questions.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.