Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible how hard is it.. to get medicare to recognize a manual chair I go buy?

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    Medicare has covered repairs/maintenance/cushions for my original chair which was purchased by private insurance while
    I was in acute rehab immediately post-injury.
    My first power chair was purchased with private insurance. I became eligible for Medicare about six months after the chair was purchased. When I became eligible for Medicare, the same durable medical supplier that specified the chair originally, registered the chair with Medicare and for the next 7 years Medicare paid for batteries, cushions, cushion covers, tires, casters, a couple new motors etc. I don't know what kind of paper work they used to "register" the chair with Medicare, but there was never a question about repairs and replacement parts.

Blog Entries
    If where you got the chair originally was also a registered Medicare supplier, and you live in a Competitive Bidding Area, it's possible. Timing is also a factor. It's not common though, but sometimes the stars do align.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Thanks for the responses.
    This is starting to get me down.. it's so depressing. Just not getting anywhere. and don't know where to turn to

It seem anecdotally, if you have a chair, and then get medicare they will transfer it to medicare.
    No examples of anyone who's on medicare buying a chair and getting it transferred to medicare.... ?

Of course if I buy it then I'm stuck with all the repair costs over the life of the chair.

Anyone know off the top of their head before I got searching for it.. what is the MAX value medicare pays for a chair.. I thought it was like $2000.
    Then add on all the codes for the random stuff etc.

If Medicare only cares about you inside the dwelling, and Medicaid is supposed to support you outside and inside, how is it medicaid won't pay anymore except the co-pay ontop of the medicare amount?

With everything else if medicare doesn't pay, medicaid kicks in with no problems...

And for the big joke of the day.. medicare covered a set of Rowheels for me !!! WTF Awesome of course.. but how is it they can make getting an appropriate chair such a total nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    It seem anecdotally, if you have a chair, and then get medicare they will transfer it to medicare.
    No examples of anyone who's on medicare buying a chair and getting it transferred to medicare.... ?
    When Medicare funds a chair, they know they did that...no need to transfer it to Medicare. ^^^

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Sorry I wasn't clear
    If I am on medicare.... and buy the chair myself, as I am getting nowhere getting a newchair through my supplier. Can I then transfer the chair to medicare for maintenance purposes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    When Medicare funds a chair, they know they did that...no need to transfer it to Medicare. ^^^