Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seat elevation, legs elevation worth it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

seat elevation, legs elevation worth it?

Hi

can anyone share their own experienced with seat elevation or legs elevation with me?

I am currently in process buying a new powerchair.

Thanks

My mother had a seat elevating power chair, and loved that feature. It enabled her to sit at a counter or bar without having the counter hit her about chin level. She also liked it for seeing exhibits at museums and art shows at eye level, and for talking to people at parties or social functions at the other person's eye level instead of waist level. Sadly, even though she was quadriplegic due to MS, Medicare would not pay for that feature of her wheelchair, so that came out of her own pocket.

On the other hand, Medicare did cover the power tilt-in-space and recline feature, and power elevating leg rests which allowed her to do independent weight shifts, and worked for her caregivers cathing her in her wheelchair when needed, and due to an excellent letter of medical necessity written by her therapist (and signed by her PCP), Medicare did cover these features of the chair.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    My mother had a seat elevating power chair, and loved that feature. It enabled her to sit at a counter or bar without having the counter hit her about chin level. She also liked it for seeing exhibits at museums and art shows at eye level, and for talking to people at parties or social functions at the other person's eye level instead of waist level. Sadly, even though she was quadriplegic due to MS, Medicare would not pay for that feature of her wheelchair, so that came out of her own pocket.

On the other hand, Medicare did cover the power tilt-in-space and recline feature, and power elevating leg rests which allowed her to do independent weight shifts, and worked for her caregivers cathing her in her wheelchair when needed, and due to an excellent letter of medical necessity written by her therapist (and signed by her PCP), Medicare did cover these features of the chair.

(KLD)
    Hi KLD,

my chair will be partially fund by the government and partially out of pocket.

I sat in a fully equip QM7 all the add on features you listed above recently but only for 5 mins.

I found that the elevate that made the seat so high that I need to climb onto the chair. On the other hand, I know if I get that particular feature I will be able to do things independently when I live on my own. I am also worry about the elevator will cause the centre seat so high that it won't get into the car or under the table.

I really like elevate leg rests and hope it will help me with swollen feet. My Therapist thinks is waste of money which makes me wonder if I should spend that money on Air Relax ( the compression machine)?

I have CP.

Which chair does your mom owns if I may ask?

Thanks Again!

My mom had a 2007 Permobil C300. We made sure to get as low a base as possible so it would fit under a table easily at restaurants, but we usually had to swing the armrests up and away to do that.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Just thought throw my 2...
    I've never had seat elevator. DME's and doctor said that no one would cover since Medicare called it a luxury item. Don't make much sense to this poor ole' country boy since they covered full powered hospital bed to enable easier transfers from bed to chair.
    Had powered recline, tilt and legrest on chairs since 90's. These were all covered by insurance and Medicare.
    No know about your health but the justification on my powered recline, tilt and legrest were for position change, pressure relief, enable longer periods of time out bed, aid in reducing swelling in lower extremities(also wear 20-30mm graduated compression stocking for swelling, promote circulation and assist in prevention of more venous ulcers) alignment of body and were other stuff I don't remember off top of my head.
    I'd ask for a home Demo on chairs you want test out and get info on options(if nothings else check specs online at chair makers sites), especially seat to floor heights available. Often the Demo chairs are just what is available in area and are not zeroed in on your requirements. Hopefully a maker's rep will bring chairs for you to Demo cause they can answer all your questions and do a spec sheet on chair with their puter while visiting with you.
    Like SCI-Nurse posted be sure to get swing-away joystick cause it's a must to get under or close enough to most tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks View Post
    Hi

can anyone share their own experienced with seat elevation or legs elevation with me?

I am currently in process buying a new powerchair.

Thanks
    Seat elevation at most will add an 1 inch to you over all chair. Remember its new so it will take time to get use to it once you get use to a new chair (90 days) the difference will be major!

Being able to have more options when eating out, elevators, public transportation, shopping at stores, events etc.

We as a community also need to stop the rumor that seat elevation will not be funded because that is not true.

If your DME in the states is telling you get a new DME because they just dont want to work on your behave!

If for some reason you cant fund seat elevation then have your DME sell it to you at cost.

Everything with a DME is negotiable never pay MSRP.

Thank you all, for sharing your own insight with me.

I will talk to my DME and keep you guys posted.

RollPositive, you were able to get Medicare to pay for power seat elevation on your chair?? With what justification?

(KLD)

Some wheelchair manufactures offer a swing away or retractable device for your control panel/joy stick. The ability to move the controller from in front of the armrests either toward you or away from you gives some flexibility when seated at a table or desk.

From Permobil: https://permobilus.com/product/slimline-retractable-joystick-mount/#product-slimline-retractable-joystick-mount
    What good is a joystick if you can?t comfortably use it? The Retractable Joystick Mount pivots both medially and laterally, allowing an attached joystick to be rotated to the inner or outer edge of the armrest. This ensures better access to tables, easier transfers and more protection during wheelchair transport. The new Slimline version of the Retractable Joystick Mount is slimmer and easier to retract, without tools, for even greater access to friends and the environment. When paired with the Adjustable Height Panel Bracket, a functional and flexible joystick position can be obtained for every user, to maximize control and independence.

Attached Images Attached Images  

I find my seat elevator useful. I don't use it much, but it gives me more flexibility when I do. I use it for sitting at high tables in restaurants or bars, and also sometimes for reaching for things. For example, when cooking I use it from time to time to look into pots. It's nice once in a while to be at a higher elevation.

I also like leg elevation. First of all, if you have power tilt/recline, you kind of need it, since you can't really recline without your legs elevating. I use it so when I need to fit into a tight spot I can compress the legs as much as possible, then I raise them when I am going out. It also helps to raise them when going over certain curb cuts or slopes. If you don't have power tilt/recline, however, I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.