Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealing a full sized pistol

Blog Entries
    Galco isn't cheap but they're my shoulder holster of choice. I've carried an L Frame .357 with a 5" barrel in one of their vertical models without issue. I usually run their "Jackass" design, which they bought from Jackass Leather Co. a while back. It uses a reverse cant to allow a smaller front to back profile for skinnier people or slightly longer handguns. Hard to go wrong with a P226.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

[QUOTE=funklab;1862984]I'd definitely be interested in seeing how you've got it set up.]

I'm headed to Georgia tomorrow until next Sunday evening but I will take some pics and post when I get home. They all fit minus my Beretta Neos, which I would only throw in there with snake shot if there was concern (happened once in ten years in the back yard). But that is a much longer barrel. Doesn't matter though because you can open carry on your property in SC.

I looked for many carry solutions and this was the best option for me. I even had a custom partition sewed into my front cushion pouch, but it wasn't a quick enough deploy to my liking so I just keep my wallet in there now.

My P226 is also a threaded barrel so there's a tad extra on the length and it is still a comfortable carry in the Hazard 4. Years ago my instructor told me stories of when his friends carried in the lower back and at least two fell backwards, broke their backs and wound up in a chair. I don't use sideguards so it's not concealable with my body frame. I have a coworker that carries a Sig Equinox and he's so big an untucked shirt doesn't even print in the slightest.

Cool, I look forward to the pics.

So far I'm leaning towards a P226, just wish it wasn't so damn expensive.

Shot a gen 5 glock 19 today and I'm just not a fan of Glocks and their mushy triggers. It definitely doesn't feel any easier to control than the Sig and follow up shots were significantly slower for me.

The guy at the range convinced me that I need to try their M&P 2.0 next time out, so we'll see how that goes, but I don't have high expectations for liking any striker fired gun. A couple years ago my buddy let me shoot his competition Sig P320 which had thousands of dollars of work done to it (all paid for by his sponsors), and that was probably the only decent striker fired trigger I've ever experienced. They don't have any CZ type pistols for rent at the range I joined, so I guess I'll just have to find some of those in a shop and see how well they fit my hand.

Blog Entries
    I tell ya, the trigger on the CZ P10-C is incredible. Breaks like a glass rod and resets incredibly short. The Walther PPQ is really good too. Other than those 2, yeah, striker fired handguns generally have triggers that feel like crap in my experience.

(As an aside, I really don't consider the G19 (or P10-C) in the same size class as a P226. They're much smaller, more of a 'compact' carry piece than a 'full-size' handgun. Truly 'full-sized' or 'duty' pistols are more like the standard 1911, Beretta 92F, P22x, CZ-75, FNP-45T, etc. Comparing those big guns to a more compact carry piece is always gonna fall short IMO, as far as comfort and recoil management and even magazine capacity a lot of times. Smaller guns are always a bit of a compromise. I'd compare a Glock 17 more directly with a 226.)
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    (As an aside, I really don't consider the G19 (or P10-C) in the same size class as a P226. They're much smaller, more of a 'compact' carry piece than a 'full-size' handgun. Truly 'full-sized' or 'duty' pistols are more like the standard 1911, Beretta 92F, P22x, CZ-75, FNP-45T, etc. Comparing those big guns to a more compact carry piece is always gonna fall short IMO, as far as comfort and recoil management and even magazine capacity a lot of times. Smaller guns are always a bit of a compromise. I'd compare a Glock 17 more directly with a 226.)
    This seems fair. I guess this far my collection is either big (1922, desert eagle) or small (SP 101, scandium J-frame). I’m really just looking for something big enough to get a full handed grip on with a reasonable site radius. Glock 19 was definitely big enough for what I was looking for I just didn’t really like it. But it get very similar in size to the p226.