Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concealing a full sized pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I'm having a super hard time getting my head around how a full-sized handgun will fit back there not be a huge pressure sore liability.
    I second that. Does the notebook and that pen you have back there not touch your skin?

There?s more room there than you think. Right. Le I?ve got the notebook in the picture, a kindle paper white and room for probably a 40 page printout folded in half.

The actual pocket falls completely behind the seat sling, and therefore behind the plane of the backrest bars. Where you see the top of the notebook now is maybe 3/4 of an inch above the level of my ischiums while I?m seated and my body weight is compressing the cushion. Because of the curve of my ass, the notebook does not touch my skin, even when I?m sitting as far back as possible.

there is definitely enough room for he pistol (I stuffed in back there to check), but the holster/concealment couldn?t be super bulky (and obviously the notebook has to go).

the issue I?ll run into, and why I?ll probavly wait to do this until I get my next chair is that I?ll need more material to make the pocket deeper. Right now if I just stuff the gun back there sans holster it rides too high and contacts my lower back. I need it to ride about 2 inches lower so that the grip is at the same elevation as my notebook in the picture and therefore won?t come in contact with my body.

Then I need to sort out some contraption (maybe a pouch like Tman) to cover it that either is soft enough and smooth enough for me to lean back against or that rides low enough to not hit my lower back.

No idea why my ‘s got converted to ?s there... I’m on my phone.

Any thoughts to maybe something like a plastic Fobus holster with the IWB part unriveted and then the remainder attached to the underside of the seat sling? Seems like the only non-shoulder holster (cold weather only there) carry with any sort of speed of presentation. It would be kind of a side-under draw

Yeah, that would be reasonable. The paddle style holsters could probably be converted to have the paddle part tucked up between the cushion and the seat sling, but this would make it hard to mount inside a pouch if I go with something similar to what Tman is suggesting... I'm no seamstress.

Maybe I could bring it to a tailor shop though and ask them to rig it so that the pouch has an opening for the holster to be secured under the cushion as well.

It would be nice (though not necessary) to be able to remove the entire holster without actually getting out of the chair as would be required if I was going to unweight the cushion to remove the holster.

Blog Entries
    Here is what I do when I want to carry off-body on my chair:

You can just make out the grip back-strap to the right of my EDC pouch.

That's a CZ P10C with an APL-C light, in a clip on IWB holster, with a thumb break. The thumb break is critical.

The clip attaches to a D-loop on the inside of the Case Logic under seat wheelchair pouch (Amazon):

The thumb break retains the pistol during chair break downs, transfers, and endos/backflips.

Here's what it looks like from the front and side:

Reasons I do it this way:

- Very quick access
    - Completely concealed behind cushion pouch, legs and Case Logic pouch
    - Accommodates every handgun I own, using a standard IWB clip-on with thumb break
    - Entire package Easily unclipped (for swapping or moving to car or IWB etc etc) (I almost always move it and my pouch to center console when doing a car transfer. I fear losing my chair during xfer and watching my handgun roll away. Losing control of a CCW is a crime in VA, as it well should be!!).
    - Pouch is incredibly useful for other things. My EDC pouch and urological bag ride there too. The Uro bag is attached to the blue and black oval to the left of the EDC pouch and rides between my seat pan and frame crossbar. Pulled out with loop.)
    Last edited by Oddity; 08-21-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: words
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

So you can see the difference in a few sizes - P226 with threaded barrel, HK USP Compact, and XDs (yes there is grip tape on the second two). You can see how close my hand is within reach of the pouch, the pouch with the P226, drawing the P226, and looking at the top of the pouch with the zippers slightly open and the XDs in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Any thoughts to maybe something like a plastic Fobus holster with the IWB part unriveted and then the remainder attached to the underside of the seat sling? Seems like the only non-shoulder holster (cold weather only there) carry with any sort of speed of presentation. It would be kind of a side-under draw
    even better, go with something thats supposed to mount on a tac vest.

or there are the little lockable boxes for mounting something in a vehicle.

there small and could easily be camouflaged into looking like part of the chair.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Blog Entries
    Just for the record, I'm gonna say I think off-body carry should be an occasional thing, not the norm. Especially for folks like us, who are mostly helpless if we get knocked out of our chair, which is the first thing anyone intending us grave bodily harm would do, IMO. I want my options to go with me.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Just for the record, I'm gonna say I think off-body carry should be an occasional thing, not the norm. Especially for folks like us, who are mostly helpless if we get knocked out of our chair, which is the first thing anyone intending us grave bodily harm would do, IMO. I want my options to go with me.
    If someone can make it work for them I agree. Personally, I wear mostly cargo pants and shorts. The XDs is small enough to keep in there and I just leave a button opened for access. But I wouldn't throw a full size in there, that'd print like hell. I mostly wear these to work (https://www.carhartt.com/products/ca...go-Pant-101148). And of course there is a plethora of companies making "tactical" clothes.