Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concealing a full sized pistol

Concealing a full sized pistol

So I'm trying to convince myself that I have enough money to buy a new pistol, but to justify it I have to at least figure out a practical way that I could conceal it.

Basically I am looking to buy a full size (or near full size) 9mm double stack pistol, preferably SA/DA, probably a Sig P226 or a Glock 19 (or 17) maybe a CZ clone. These are just to give you an idea of the kind of gun I'm going to get, I haven't picked the exact model yet, just want to demonstrate that it's a pretty sizeable gun.

So here's me: 6' tall 130 pounds, T8 complete, TiLite ZRA that's 13" wide (so literally not enough room to slide my hand between my hip and the sideguards of my chair, which is how I like it). Given the bulk of this gun I would probably only carry it to and from the car in the summer and only keep it on my person in the winter time with more clothes to cover it up, unless I can think of a good place to stash it on my body/chair that would work for summer too (this would be ideal). When I'm at work I wear a pair of khakis or other semi-dress pants and a button down shirt, but I can't carry at work. When I'm off of work I usually wear somewhat baggy jeans (because I'm embarassed of my atrophied legs and because I came of age in the 90s when Jncos were a thing) and usually a button down shirt maybe a hoodie or a zip up coat depending on how cool it is (obviously assuming fall/winter here).

I'd prefer to carry on my body, but could be convinced of an innovative enough way to carry on the chair if it was secure and I could still draw quickly.

I saw this guy on youtube years ago and just refound the video. Obviously his was done to meet the technical requirements of the competition he was in, but an idea similar to this could be intersting.

When I have a concealed carry permit I usually carry a Ruger SP101 (essentially a J-frame sized 5 shot revolver with a 3 inch barrel) and usually just carry it cross draw inside my waistband with no holster (no holster was legal in the state I was carrying in at the time, I know it's not legal many places, and I'd prefer a setup with a holster, but it was pretty secure - I never dropped it). A very few times I carried a full size 1911 in a small of the back holster like this
    only I rotated the holster over to the 3:00 position on my right hip, because of the sag in my pants (again, a product of the 90s, apologies if this offends your sensibilities), this left the gun pretty much vertical. It was an uncomfortably high draw, but the gun was very secure, however when I got my current chair there wasn't enough clearance even for the slender barrel of the 1911 on my side. Once or twice I carried a desert eagle and a 500 S&W magnum stuffed in my waistband to the grocery store as well, but that was more for shits and giggles than any practicality.

The reason I want a double stack 9mm is that I'm starting to do Steel Challenge, and while I'd be happy to use my Delta Elite if they would only let me (they're afraid the 10mm will hurt their steel plates i guess???), I'm forced to use my .45 1911. Needless to say, I don't need any more disadvantages than the decreased mobility, and having only 8 rounds means I'm often reloading when others wouldn't need to. Also .45 ammo is getting expensive and I'm not set up to reload it, so cheaper 9mm rounds would be nice. In Steel Challenge I end up in the same category as everyone else with iron sights, which means many other people are literally running race guns with their optics swapped out for iron sights and the people I hope to one day be more competitive against are shooting stock Glocks or XDs with double the capacity of my lil old 1911.

If you've got a suggestion for a pistol I should look at that meets the following criteria I'm open to suggestions:
    9mm
    Capacity of at least 12 rounds (preferably 15 or more)
    SA/DA preferred, but I'm open to 1911 style SA only and striker fired (I just don't really like striker fired guns)
    Barrel length 4" or more
    Grip large enough to get all my fingers on (I wear large sized gloves)

Bonus points if it doesn't have a picatinny rail (I never use those and think they look ugly)

Anywho, I'd be happy to hear any thoughts yall have and especially and personal experience. For all I know the video above might be one of you fine folks.

69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

And you need this because????

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Unfortunately my wardrobe doesn’t include any army jackets, and I feel like having a pistol strapped to my wrist would interfere with pushing the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    And you need this because????
    As I said above, for Steel Challenge, a shooting competition.

https://steelchallenge.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    and you need this because????
    LOL!!!!

edit: oh, sorry, I know how you feel about 'acronyms':

Laughing Out Loud!!!!
    Last edited by Oddity; 08-13-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

5.11 makes a nice fanny pack for concealed carry. I simply sling it over one knee. Works great, easy to access and no one knows it's a firearm inside.

Blog Entries
    I read a couple contradictory requirements in this post, but I think I get what you're going for: A game gun that can double as an occasionally concealed carry. For games, I like big and heavy. Big and heavy doesnt conceal, on body, worth a crap.

I run a stock CZ Shadow 2 for games. Couldn't imagine carrying it.

I could imagine carrying a CZ 75BD in a crossdraw or a shoulder holster and also shooting games with it, but it'd be a compromise on both. That's about the only double stack 9mm DA/SA, without a rail, that immediately comes to mind that I'd be comfortable with in either role.

Stepping outside of your requirements just a bit...I really like the FNX-9. DA/SA, double stack, light enough with a small enough footprint, but has an obnoxious rail. I've been CC'ing one, and a CZ P10-C (which has completely changed my opinion on striker fired handguns for the better). The P10 has a rail but it's very understated IMO.

On body carry of a full sized 9mm is only 3 choices IMO: Strong side, crossdraw, or vertical shoulder. I vastly prefer OWB on crossdraw and strongside, as I find when seated full time that even single layer garments bunch up enough around the waist and to effectively conceal just about anything. I've been known to tote around an FNP-45T with a light and an RMR using a Ronin Concealment OWB strongside kydex rig, at a 15deg cant, and no one is the wiser. I'm a tad wider than you, though, at ~175lbs. I run the P10-C in a vertical shoulder holster (mostly winter time) or a Ronin strong side or a Smart-Carry in crossdraw configuration without issues also. The Smart-carry is actually pretty damn convenient and comfy used that way. (I use a click-on kydex trigger guard for peace of mind though. I strongly dislike a cloth holster for safety sake.)

Off body, I use an IWB clip-on holster (with a thumb break) clipped into one of the loops of a Case-logic under chair pouch. It ain't exactly a 'quick-draw Mcgraw' setup but it is super easy, set it and forget it kind of setup. I can PM you pics of anything if you're interested. Wouldn't want to give any of the snowflakes around here a stroke.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by parashooter View Post
    5.11 makes a nice fanny pack for concealed carry. I simply sling it over one knee. Works great, easy to access and no one knows it's a firearm inside.
    Yep. Although the 5.11 stuff can read a bit tacti-cool and scream GUN, sometimes. Not all their stuff does though. I used a concealment 'Fanny pack' for years and do like them. Got tired of it after a while though. I dunno why. It is a great idea for occasional use and/or just comfortably carrying it back and forth to the range or competitions and such. For Everyday carry, my M.O., having to keep track of a man-purse wore on me, I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0ZY42HXXHZQFQX

I have a Hazard 4 broadside with it zip tied to my frame on my right side, just next to my knee. The top zip tie goes under the seat upholstery bar and then the lower ties are on the frame. I usually carry a Springfield XDS, but - I can fit my P226 or my HK USP compact (.45) in there and close the zipper. If you put both of the zippers on the top with a smidge of space between them, you can put your hand in and open it fairly quick with some practice. I can take pictures when I get home with various pistols in it if you want to see. It's for carry though and maybe not the best for competition. And when I'm not carrying then my phone is usually in it. I also keep a flat karambit in the front of the bag that no one can see is there and it is extremely fast to deploy.