Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outride Horizon (or similar) review

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    Yep, my fat fingers - definitely a motor was what I intended.

That Icon looks awesome, but I had envisaged pedallling also. In fact I suspect that may not be allowed on most mountain bike trails here as even electric assist bikes are polarising opinions on whether or not they should be allowed. I bets it's all kinds of fun though.

i had exactly the same as that rear tyre on my last fat bike, and something like that would definitely help with traction.
    When I first got my Boma I asked one of my friends who has a large mountain biking forum website to run a poll on whether the site users would accept various types of vehicle and was surprised that so high a % didn't want off road wheelchairs even on easy blue graded trails! We can use off road wheelchairs legally on public paths and I have never had a problem, most people are pleased to see a disabled person out enjoying nature. Even horse riders that can be a problem mountain biking don't get annoyed by the Boma.

I was working since December on a project with the same goal as you : coming back to rocky muddy trails after my injury.
    I had the opportunity to buy a second hand Hase Lepus handbike at an affordable price. It was motorized by a front-wheel 250W hub motor. It was not a brilliant config for off-roading : not enough power nor grip.
    I swapped the hub motor with a std wheel, and the rigid fork with a suspended one. My Hase was then fully suspended. As it was rear wheel drive, the solution was, obviously, to motorize these wheels (wich have also a lot of grip, as the rider is sitting, more or less, on top of the rear axle)
    I bought from Cyclone, in China, a big 1680W motor designed for recumbent, with a double freewheel on the drivetrain.
    I was previously owner of 2 big 48V-11Ah batteries from my 4x4 electric all terrain swedish wheelchair (Zoom from ZoomAbility)
    After a lot of work, we managed to put all this together. The motor is under the seat, the batteries are sliding vertically on the back. I swapped the 9 speed Shimano cog with a NuVinci 360 CVT, allowing to change the gears while not rolling. There are two modes : "pedelec" asks for continuous pedaling to have the assistance, and "power" is a motor mode, no needs to pedal. As I'm a quad, I have chin commands for the power and the gears. I bought QuadGrips handles from Bike-on (thanks John !) I also had to design and make a brake system using the chain, and allowing to brake when I pedal in reverse (it uses the 2 rear hydraulic brakes)
    This project is not totally finished, ... but will it be ?
    Anyway, even if I have to improve some details, it begin to have a good shape. It rolls nicely at 25/30 Km/h -15mph- even on rough terrain. the dampers do their job and it feels like a flying carpet. The very low gear and the powerful motor seems to allow abig climb-ability (not fully tested yet !)
    So if it can help, I would say a full suspended bike is a must. Big brakes too. Rear wheel drive for the grip. Big wheels ? I don't know, mine are 20", there's a lot of choice for the tires in BMX world... Of course 27.5" or may be 29" could be better for rollability, but will increase gyroscopic forces too. The other interest of small wheels on this Lepus is the transfer: easy, as the seat is flush with my wheelchair and there's no wheel on the way. Tadpole or Delta ? IMHO, Tadpole are the best, stability, braking efficiency, easy to motorize with a hub motor in the rear wheel... But I didn't find one !
    Last edited by robotnik; 08-19-2018 at 05:50 AM.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Fen-
    I had a horizon adapted for using the foot pedals, which I can do weakly. The electric assist, which is powerful and fast, made it fun. It is not easy to transfer onto but not terribly difficult. As a female my main difficulty was getting off to pee in some secluded spot. Then I moved to the desert, which does not have secluded spots.

I loved it but it was not perfect. The turning radius of a horizon is wide. It did not take to loose sand well so I had to stay on roads. It just did not work in my new location. It was for sale in the used section of the Outrider website. It was not really safe for me to go out on alone, but my partner had a stroke after we got here...yadda, yadda, I gave up.

Thanks for the input, and sorry for taking so long to respond. I thought I had post notifications on, but looks like I didn’t so I nearly missed some (very helpful) replies.

@robotnik, the initial recommendation I was given was to go with a Hase Kettwiesel, fitted with a motor to assist the rear wheels and with full suspension. I had a go of a non-assisted one on a paved car park and loved it, but that is not off road and since then the 20” wheels started to worry me. Based on your experience perhaps I should not worry so much about wheel size, and it sounds like even the taller Lepus is stable enough? Do you find you can steer OK with the single front wheel, or does the trike sometimes run wide because the wheel slides when you turn?

@Tetracyclone, thanks for the feedback on the Horizon. I currently have a Force2 road hand cycle which is the definition of difficult to transfer out of, and that means I don’t currently feel I can use it on my own. Ideally I’d like to be able to ride alone, though perhaps MTB trails are not the right place to do that with the opportunity to go over the side, crash out of the trike or simply get stuck on a turn that is too tight for the turning circle. The pee thing is a valid consideration, and getting off to catheterise is not really an option for me. My intended is to use an IDC for long rides, possibly without a bag so it just drips on the ground as I ride. That way it shouldn’t be a concern at all for me.

Loose sand is not a common surface where I ride (which is nothing like desert in any way), but a wide turning circle is not ideal. Actually one of the tracks I used to enjoy goes along a section of coast and has both beach sand and loose shingle at various points, and I used to ride it on my fat bike. I’d really like to be able to ride that one alone, but it would need proper fat tyres (I used to use 4.8” on it, even when I tried a 3” tyre it wasn’t wide enough to float over the loose surface).

Maybe I need multiple trikes like I used to have multiple bikes (11 at the peak), but they are so much more expensive and much harder to store.

@Gordy and @mrb, there's a lot of discussion about whether power assist mountain bikes should be allowed on trails here, and that has resulted in different rules for different parks. A general situation seems to be that fully powered is not allowed. I think that is because a fully powered mountain bike is difficult to distinguish (in legal description at least) from an electric motorbike, and if electric motorbikes could be considered OK to use then it would be hard to stop regular motorbikes also. The desire to stop motorbikes from using the trails is one of safety (they climb a lot faster than pedal powered bikes) and also the trail damage they cause with extra weight and enough power to spin the driving wheel and tear up the surface. For a lot of MTB riders even power assist bikes are unwelcome because they can cause the same issues, though perhaps to a lesser extent.

I’m looking at breaktheboundary now.
    T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.