Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outride Horizon (or similar) review

Outride Horizon (or similar) review

Hi,

I’m looking for something that will let me get back on mountain bike trails.

It?s not quite fair to say that cost is no object, but I?d rather buy something that will work for me at a high price than waste money on something cheaper that is compromised in some way.

That has brought me to look at the Outride Horizon hand+electric. Does anyone have any experience or better yet own one and can give a real world review?

Also what alternatives may I have missed?

I like the idea of a tadpole configuration rather than a single front wheel (as I perceive increased stability, braking and steering performance with two front wheels).

I?m also very sceptical of the traction available for climbing with a single front wheel providing drive, though I know there are options with a single front wheel and rear wheel drive.

Lastly I preferred 29er mountain bikes to 27.5? wheels, so I?m also wary of 20? wheels on off road trikes with what I imagine to be an greatly reduced ability to roll over obstacles like roots and rocks.

Really I?m keen to hear any advice that will enable me to avoid making an expensive mis-step.
    Last edited by Fen; 08-11-2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: OP request
    T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.

Members cannot change the title of their posts, but moderators can. i changed it for you.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Members cannot change the title of their posts, but moderators can. i changed it for you.

(KLD)

Wonderful - thanks. I figured I couldn't change it, nor delete it and create a new one with the title correct.

It's far more likely to catch the eye of someone who has anything to offer now, so thanks again for fixing it. I proof read the body but must remember to proof the title in future also as autocorrect frequently changes the meaning with its “help”.
    T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.

I don't think the recumbent is more stable than a bicycle because with a bike you can always use your legs, (used to always) for stabilization, giving you four points front, rear wheels and either leg for control. I know, I've nearly flipped and have flipped. That said, these are not rocket science like the videos make them out to be. Just find a recumbent you like and add a decent motor to it. Here is the one that I had the bike shop put together before I knew how. It only has a 500 W motor and 48 V battery, so is weak uphill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAEYzhsFZ4g
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Consider that the average off road wheelchair is wider than a mountain bike and so singletrack can be tricky and anything off camber brings a new thrill experience! I'm C3 so restricted to 4 wheel off road chairs and chin steer, still work in the mountain bike industry and have to work at events and doing photo shoots when mags want a piece of me so end up places that maybe aren't that easy to ride. Decent suspension is a must if you want to ride anything other than fireroads, swapped my coil shocks for Fox Float air so can tune for my weight. Just looking at putting mousse in the tyres to be able to run lower pressure for better grip and for punctures. I'm on 20/24 and tyre choice is limited but I now get a Vee Tire 2.8,folding, tubeless ready in both sizes, 26/27.5 or 29 would give more choice but I wouldn't get hung up on wheel size, it is different to mountain biking.

I can do very few of my old mountain bike routes, limited by how my chair works but it does get me out on the fells and whilst I can't keep up with a mountain bike I can still get to events in muddy fields.

Have fun whatever you end up with.

Thanks for the responses.

I don’t expect to get back to the single track I used to ride as (as you say mrb) most of it is too narrow for a trike, and even when it’s wide enough it might well have tight switchbacks.

There are some trails that are wide enough and not so tight that they would work however, and I’d like something that isn’t going to fall apart nor shake me to pieces on them, so; decent braking, the ability to steer dependably and a. OT or to help get all that weight up in the first place are a must (there’s no shuttling here in Wellington unless people organise it themselves with a pick up and a few mates).

It's good to hear that wheel size isn’t as important as with regular mountain bikes, given so few options have big wheels, so thanks for that confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    ... so; decent braking, the ability to steer dependably and a. OT or to help get all that weight up in the first place are a must (there?s no shuttling here in Wellington unless people organise it themselves with a pick up and a few mates).
    I’m going to assume that the word “motor” is meant to be in that sentence somewhere! If so, and you don’t mind not having the ability to pedal at all, there is this one: http://iconwheelchairs.com/explore/
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I?m going to assume that the word ?motor? is meant to be in that sentence somewhere! If so, and you don?t mind not having the ability to pedal at all, there is this one: http://iconwheelchairs.com/explore/
    Oh my, a 26 wheel with a 3000 watt motor should get uphills.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I’m going to assume that the word “motor” is meant to be in that sentence somewhere! If so, and you don’t mind not having the ability to pedal at all, there is this one: http://iconwheelchairs.com/explore/
    Yep, my fat fingers - definitely a motor was what I intended.

That Icon looks awesome, but I had envisaged pedallling also. In fact I suspect that may not be allowed on most mountain bike trails here as even electric assist bikes are polarising opinions on whether or not they should be allowed. I bets it's all kinds of fun though.

i had exactly the same as that rear tyre on my last fat bike, and something like that would definitely help with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    That Icon looks awesome, but I had envisaged pedallling also. In fact I suspect that may not be allowed on most mountain bike trails here as even electric assist bikes are polarising opinions on whether or not they should be allowed.
    Yep, I’ve heard the same views here...but surely nobody would object to a very small number of electric powered handcycles? If so, you MTBers are a tough crowd!

Your comment has just reminded me about an organisation started by someone we know in Perth, which is now Australia-wide. Check this out: https://breaktheboundary.com/

I’d suggest you get in contact with Andrew - he should be able to give you some good advice on what to get. I suspect you have a few things in common....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.