Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding titanium chairs

As per this the expected life of the chair is 5 years so that is how long they cover...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    As per this the expected life of the chair is 5 years so that is how long they cover...
    Yeah, ain't that some shit. It's a 5 year warranty worded in a clever way so they can legally advertise their product as being covered by a "life-time warranty". It's no more than marketing bullshit.

Why be direct and honest when spin and bullshit can be made legal by a simple turn of phrase? Don't you just love it when big corporations treat us like we're idiots while trying to separate us from our money? I know I do...
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

While the "expected" life of the frame is 5 years, TiLite warranties the frame for the life of the original owner.

A. LIFETIME

TiLite warrants the wheelchair frame (including the cross-braces, if any) against defects in materials and workmanship for life, so long as the original purchaser uses the wheelchair. The expected life of the frame is five years.

Haven't done an industry-wide investigation on warranties, but Ki Mobility uses the same "expected" language.

http://www2.kimobility.com/OwnersMan...mi.pdf#page=44

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    While the "expected" life of the frame is 5 years, TiLite warranties the frame for the life of the original owner.

A. LIFETIME

TiLite warrants the wheelchair frame (including the cross-braces, if any) against defects in materials and workmanship for life, so long as the original purchaser uses the wheelchair. The expected life of the frame is five years.
    Thats good to know, Thanks for clarification. I wonder why there are 2 definitions of "life", seeming to contradict one another. How does the "expected life" language then relate to the "for life" language, and/or why include both? It's not very clear, at all.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Haven't done an industry-wide investigation on warranties, but Ki Mobility uses the same "expected" language.

http://www2.kimobility.com/OwnersMan...mi.pdf#page=44
    It is quite common.

There at least 3 definitions of 'life time warranty' I'm familiar with. Life of the owner, life of the product, and life of the company offering the warranty. It really seems like TiLite is claiming life of the product, for the original owner only, further modified by their definition of life of the product. It'd be great to hear from them exactly what they mean.

In the mean time, OP oughtta submit his 6 year old cracked frame for warranty and see what happens. No reason not to IMO.
    Last edited by Oddity; 08-19-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Beware that since he tried to weld it himself they may not cover it anymore.
    Hopefully they do, but I imagine they can't guarantee the integrity of the frame after any DIY fabrication.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Beware that since he tried to weld it himself they may not cover it anymore.
    Hopefully they do, but I imagine they can't guarantee the integrity of the frame after any DIY fabrication.
    Probably so. Which would be ironic, since they couldn't guarantee the integrity of the frame they fabricated, either, considering the fact it cracked.

I doubt that they would try to re-weld that joint anyway, just replace the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    You can make your own smaller Argon purge box if you want and it will help (instead of a chamber), but a good welder can do it without. I've done aluminum and steel with my TIG machine but it doesn't have all of the pulse adjustments of the more expensive machines. All of my chairs have been aluminum anyhow, so I haven't messed with titanium. You definitely need to keep more gas on it and a longer post flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZN8st-BM8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W51wtS0EKSg

I will say that I have definitely seen a difference when using a gas lens on aluminum for sure.
    i prefer “welding tips and tricks” or “the fabrication series” myself

https://youtu.be/H1wJlySEgHg