Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closed System

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    Should the strait connector, that comes with the extension tubing, that connects to the catheter be sterile?
    Ideally, perhaps. But the Urocare tubing and connector that I get is not sterile. The Urocare leg bag does not come with extension tubing, that is a separate. item. I am covered by Medicare and because of Medicare requirements, my medical supplier has to include a Urocare 18 inch tubing with a connector package with an order of 2 Urocare leg bags. I don't need 18 inches of tubing to connect from the catheter to the leg bag. I cut the tubing in half and use the piece with the connector. When I change leg bags, I remove the connector, wash it with soap and water, rinse, and wipe down with alcohol and connect it to the other half of the extension tubing and use that until time to change the leg bag again, then I start with a new package of 18 inch extension tubing and connector and repeat the process. Below is the extension tubing that my medical supplier includes with the leg bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Here is my Urocare set up.
    since yours is not an actual closed system (I assume due to the hydrocleanse) do you do you alternate between 2 urocare leg bags then?
    In an earlier post you said you clean the leg bag every morning and every night.
    and how long do you keep your leg bags?

since yours is not an actual closed system (I assume due to the hydrocleanse) do you do you alternate between 2 urocare leg bags then?
    In an earlier post you said you clean the leg bag every morning and every night.
    and how long do you keep your leg bags?
    I use one bag for 2 to 3 weeks.

I use Microcyn AH or HydroCleanse at night. While the product is in my bladder, NL cleans the bag, drains the product from my bladder and puts the leg bag back into my set up that I posted above.

NL cleans the leg bag once again in the morning, empties and cleans the urine collection bottle, and puts the leg bag in place while she is dressing me.

Thank you very much, your knowledge and willingness to share is much appreciated as is this site.

in the morning how do you manage cleaning your leg bag with the catheter unplugged from it?

Thank you very much, your knowledge and willingness to share is much appreciated as is this site.

in the morning how do you manage cleaning your leg bag with the catheter unplugged from it?
    I use a catheter plug in the funnel end of the catheter to close the supra pubic catheter while NL is cleaning the bag. Likewise, I use the catheter plug to retain the Microcyn or HydroCleanse at night while she cleans the bag. There are several different types of catheter plugs. They are available wherever you buy your urinary supplies.

The yellow part is the catheter plug. The translucent part is a cap for the plug, when the plug is not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm on day 10 of my closed system using a 2000ml bed/leg bag. Everything is going good so far. Only thing is my urine is strong. Of course my bag can't be cleaned while doing the closed system. Any suggestions?

You can and should clean the bedside drainage bag daily. The leg bag should not be removed for cleaning. What type of leg bag are you using? Are you drinking enough fluids?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You can and should clean the bedside drainage bag daily. The leg bag should not be removed for cleaning. What type of leg bag are you using? Are you drinking enough fluids?

(KLD)
    I'm using the same 2 liter Coloplast drainage bag https://www.coloplast.us/conveen-sec...-description_3 for day and night so it isn't being disconnected at all. I'm using a Duette catheter. I drink atleast 3 liters in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I'm using the same 2 liter Coloplast drainage bag https://www.coloplast.us/conveen-sec...-description_3 for day and night so it isn't being disconnected at all. I'm using a Duette catheter. I drink atleast 3 liters in a day.
    In the ideal closed system, you need to be letting urine flow through a leg bag that isn't cleaned every day into a night drain bag that is cleaned every day. I've tried the closed system (I have lived with it..where the rubber meets the road, not theory.) I didn't have good luck with it, because of the very reason that you are complaining about...not cleaning the leg bag = stinky, smelly that emanates from the leg bag and it is not pleasant.

I clean the leg bag twice a day, the night drain bottle (in my case) once a day and instill Microcyn Technology into the bladder every night. I have not had a urinary tract infection in over 3 years and I don't have stinky leg bags or night drain bottles/bags.

You gave it the good try and effort (as I have done)...don't know what else to say. Cleaning is cleaning...not cleaning...who knows.
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-13-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I clean the leg bag twice a day, the night drain bottle (in my case) twice a day and instill Microcyn Technology every night. I have not had a urinary tract infection in over 3 years and I don't have stinky leg bags or night drain bottles/bags.
    You disconnect from your sp catheter 4 times a day? Sounds like you have a very good system that works for you.