Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closed System

Closed System

I remember reading about it before but couldn't find much in a search. I understand what needs to be done. Where can I get the supplies needed to do it?

Are you talking about intermittent cath or indwelling. BARD and many others have the "all in one system/touchless" with the catheter and bag attached.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you talking about intermittent cath or indwelling. BARD and many others have the "all in one system/touchless" with the catheter and bag attached.
    CWO
    Sorry I have a sp. I want to try not changing from a night bag to a leg bag everyday. I think they make connectors to connect the night bag to the leg bag.

I found this in a post from a while ago. I have annotated the connectors in black print.

When you insert a new supra pubic catheter connect the funnel end of the catheter to the extension tubing with a tubing connector. Connect the extension tubing to the built in connector on the top of the leg bag. Wear the leg bag as normal during the day. If you have to empty the leg bag during the day, be sure to use an alcohol wipe or some kind of antiseptic wipe before you open the clamp to drain the bag and after you close the clamp, once you have drained.

At night, connect a night urinary drain bag or bottle to the bottom of the leg bag with a tubing connector and open the leg bag tap to allow it to drain freely. Support the bed bag on a stand or support hanger and always keep the bag lower than your bladder, do not allow the bed bag to lie on the floor. Night drain bottles are plastic and can sit in a plastic box to collect any spillage.

The following morning close the tap on the leg bag and remove the bed bag. At this point clean the drain tube on the leg bag with an alcohol wipe or some kind of antiseptic wipe. The bed bag/drain bottle should then be emptied and cleaned with a diluted bleach solution, rinsed and hung up to dry.

The catheter and leg bag form a “closed” drainage system, which prevents bacteria getting into the system and reduces the risk of infection. The leg bag should only be disconnected from the catheterwhen the leg bag needs replacing, every 7-15 days

Urocare Products page (https://www.urocare.com/EN/ProductsEN.php) has an extensive collection of extension tubing, tubing connectors, tubing with attached connectors, clamps, leg bags, night drain bottles and bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-11-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I found this in a post from a while ago. I have annotated the connectors in black print.

When you insert a new supra pubic catheter connect the funnel end of the catheter to the extension tubing with a tubing connector. Connect the extension tubing to the built in connector on the top of the leg bag. Wear the leg bag as normal during the day. If you have to empty the leg bag during the day, be sure to use an alcohol wipe or some kind of antiseptic wipe before you open the clamp to drain the bag and after you close the clamp, once you have drained.

At night, connect a night urinary drain bag or bottle to the bottom of the leg bag with a tubing connector and open the leg bag tap to allow it to drain freely. Support the bed bag on a stand or support hanger and always keep the bag lower than your bladder, do not allow the bed bag to lie on the floor. Night drain bottles are plastic and can sit in a plastic box to collect any spillage.

The following morning close the tap on the leg bag and remove the bed bag. At this point clean the drain tube on the leg bag with an alcohol wipe or some kind of antiseptic wipe. The bed bag/drain bottle should then be emptied and cleaned with a diluted bleach solution, rinsed and hung up to dry.

The catheter and leg bag form a “closed” drainage system, which prevents bacteria getting into the system and reduces the risk of infection. The leg bag should only be disconnected from the catheterwhen the leg bag needs replacing, every 7-15 days

Urocare Products page (https://www.urocare.com/EN/ProductsEN.php) has an extensive collection of extension tubing, tubing connectors, tubing with attached connectors, clamps, leg bags, night drain bottles and bags.
    Thanks for the information. Just what I was looking for. Do you use a closed system?

I use a system of SP connected to leg bag and night bag just plugs straight into the leg bag. Leg bag lies on the bed all night, tap open so urine flows into night bag which is supported on a stand. We leave it as late as possible before I get up to remove the night bag. Carefully clean the leg bag outlet and I have not had a UTI in the 4 years I have been out of hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Just what I was looking for. Do you use a closed system?
    No, I don't. I clean the leg bag every morning and every night with undiluted 70% isopropyl alcohol, hot water rinse, then wipe down the outside of the bag, tubing, and clamp with undiluted 70% isopropyl alcohol.
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-12-2018 at 12:34 PM.

I use a 1500 mL leg bag which I hang from my bedside table using a C clamp at night. I only change the catheter and bag every 6 to 8 weeks.. No UTI in six or seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I use a system of SP connected to leg bag and night bag just plugs straight into the leg bag. Leg bag lies on the bed all night, tap open so urine flows into night bag which is supported on a stand. We leave it as late as possible before I get up to remove the night bag. Carefully clean the leg bag outlet and I have not had a UTI in the 4 years I have been out of hospital.
    What do you use to plug the night bag into the leg bag? Is it a certain connector? How often do you change the leg bag?

Quote Originally Posted by WheelDon View Post
    I use a 1500 mL leg bag which I hang from my bedside table using a C clamp at night. I only change the catheter and bag every 6 to 8 weeks.. No UTI in six or seven years.
    I was thinking about that. I use a 1500 ml leg bag also and thought I could just use the leg bag.