Thread: Hack Reccomendations for TiLite's JUNK adjustable caster system

Hack Reccomendations for TiLite's JUNK adjustable caster system

Hi all

Those with first generation TiLite Aero T's and similar models who've experienced the impossible task of keeping their casters properly adjusted, what did you to help hold stem from moving off vertical?

None of my threaded holes align where I can overcompensate and wait for the casters to "adjust" the fork stem themselves via door jams and sidewalk cracks. And of course TiLite's second generation adjustable caster cannot be retrofitted to my chair.

So far here are some possibilities I have thought of:
    1. Drill through the end of the cylinder "nut" so I could put in a longer bolt that might provide more lateral support/less give.
    • Pros: Not permanent, still adjustable. Con: Might still have same problem

2. JB Weld the "nut" to its housing
    • Pro: Permanent. Should fix my problem. Con: No longer adjustable. Side note: Have not adjusted rear axle or dump in the 5 years I've had the chair nor do I expect to in the future.

3. Fix some kind of jam material/shim between the fork stem and the oval opening in the frame (so underneath the caster cap), giving extra resistance to the stem moving backward past vertical.
    • Pro: Maintains adjustability. No permanent modification to chair. Con: Will be labor intensive to make an perfectly sized shim. A malleable shim might not prevent the stem from moving long term.

4. Have my friend weld the damn thing where it needs to be.
    • Pro: Donezo. Con: 1 shot. Might warp/burn away aluminum/weaken frame mount.

Any other options I haven't thought of? Thanks for your input
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I dunno but glad to see your inclusion of a JB Weld solution. I love that stuff. It's like The Force: It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the Universe together. That's what I would do.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

your chair doesn't have a socket head (M8/1.25) set screw on the insides of each, that tightens and locks the castor-angle?
    This would be opposite of the outer that you call the nut.

If it does have the bolt, I just went through resetting that on my chair after the teck came here to install the Frogs Legs I paid for when I got the chair.
    So I am now familiar with that as well as all the "reasons why not"
    I told him to tell is boss to just give me back $400 and call it a day!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    your chair doesn't have a socket head (M8/1.25) set screw on the insides of each, that tightens and locks the castor-angle?
    This would be opposite of the outer that you call the nut.

If it does have the bolt, I just went through resetting that on my chair after the teck came here to install the Frogs Legs I paid for when I got the chair.
    So I am now familiar with that as well as all the "reasons why not"
    I told him to tell is boss to just give me back $400 and call it a day!
    Yes it does have a set screw and a center screw. The problem I think I have is that the set screw gets angled after the casters go over bumps/cracks, causing the stem to be slanted backwards which causes issues.

Just like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88n_rJL1xs

Mine only has 3 threaded holes. There is another one that has not been threaded that looks like it would make my stem where I want it to be. And I think I just figured out my solution: tap that hole that I want to use.

(Thats what she said)

Mine is infinitely adjustable and locked by tightening the center screw.
    It's a nice idea that sucks! Tightening the screw always results in it changing the setting. The only way I was able to get it right was by slipping a 24" bar through the opening above the tire and the fork, and reacting that against the ratchet turning the Allen screw, but even then, I had to tighten stepwise, using the pry-bar to force the assembly back to 0* until the clamping bolt was quite tight, then do a final tightening, again using the pry bar to hold the assy.

This new chair sucks! the big housing for the adjustable castor, and the stylish bowed tube that supports it seems to always find an obstacle! The other titanium chair for 2001? has straight tubing and nothing projecting from it's slim profile where it ends and the caster stem mounts. Every square inch that the chair doesn't occupy is victory for the disabled pilot! You'd think these bozos would have some idea of what they're doing.

PS: the deal on your setup depends on your moving the outer/cover piece to each of it's six possible positions. The difference hole spacing between the two pieces allows for a lot of small adjustments. Kind of like rear torsion bar adjustments on air cooled VW Beetles. I think one end had like 23 splines and the other 21? The possibilities was there to make very small changes if both positions were moved.

PS: Looked at the exploded view in the video. Apparently the interface results in the ability to find one degree adjustments. If the center bolt locks the assy like it does mine, and yours looks that way as well, then you need to tighten it more. Are you moving the cover where the bolts go to each of it's 6 positions and checking for a match with the inner part?
    I think the outer locating screw lozenges when the center bolt doesn't lock up the adjuster and the locating screw absorbs the load.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-10-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    Yes it does have a set screw and a center screw. The problem I think I have is that the set screw gets angled after the casters go over bumps/cracks, causing the stem to be slanted backwards which causes issues.
    Just like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88n_rJL1xs
    Mine only has 3 threaded holes. There is another one that has not been threaded that looks like it would make my stem where I want it to be. And I think I just figured out my solution: tap that hole that I want to use. (Thats what she said)
    When I set my castors after the chair mod i was bloody frustrated with this means of adjustment. No way could I arrive at a 90 degree position; until I swapped the left indexer for the right.
    I am still not convinced that the TiLite frogs are for me. I find their suspension movement disconcerting and are contrary to movement that promotes stability. A leading link style function would operate better IMO. How to achieve that ?? Much better to keep it simple as standard functioning castors operate. I much prefer fixed, non suspension castors.