Thread: Ergys FES Bike Troubleshooting

Ergys FES Bike Troubleshooting

June 15th I contacted Therapeutic Alliance about a fault on my FES bike. Receiving ?open, left hamstring?. It?s not the cables; tested them using the dummy-load box. I am able to ride by reducing the max stim on left ham to zero but not at the resistance level I want. At higher resistance I can tell I?m dragging along half of a leg and I get additional shutdowns with different error codes.

Between June 15th and July 10th I was receiving some correspondence to aid in troubleshooting, but I have sent a dozen emails since July 10th that have all gone unanswered. I have gone as far as asking for a quote for a new Stim Control Box and haven?t received a response.

I guess I have two questions. Does anyone live next door to these guys to see if the lights are still on? And, are there any suggestions to troubleshoot the problem I am having with the bike?

please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksdad View Post
    June 15th I contacted Therapeutic Alliance about a fault on my FES bike. Receiving ?open, left hamstring?. It?s not the cables; tested them using the dummy-load box. I am able to ride by reducing the max stim on left ham to zero but not at the resistance level I want. At higher resistance I can tell I?m dragging along half of a leg and I get additional shutdowns with different error codes.

Between June 15th and July 10th I was receiving some correspondence to aid in troubleshooting, but I have sent a dozen emails since July 10th that have all gone unanswered. I have gone as far as asking for a quote for a new Stim Control Box and haven?t received a response.

I guess I have two questions. Does anyone live next door to these guys to see if the lights are still on? And, are there any suggestions to troubleshoot the problem I am having with the bike?

How old are the electrodes? Are you using enough gel? It could be a broken wire in the pants.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 08-09-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    How old are the electrodes? Are you using enough gel? It could be a broken wire in the pants.
    I did. First thing I did when I got the shutdown was get new electrodes, then swapped the detachable cables, hoping the fault would follow the cable. Then I contacted Th/Alliance and bought the dummy load box and performed the test they wanted; which all the cables passed. The last contact I had from them I was asked to try riding with the max stim at zero and give a few data points. Then POOF! Absolutely nothing. No more assistance.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

On my RT300 FES bike I've had random errors all caused by a faulty main cable. Had the cable replaced and they went. You don't have another cable to test with?

If it's not the cabling, then it's something internal to the stimulator. That could mean any number of dozens of components may have failed. You'd need a handy electrical engineer to diagnose and resolve the issue, if not someone from TAI directly.

I believe that only one person works for TAI part-time, primarily to help service existing customers. Several of our customers have purchased a new MyoCycle FES bike after their ERGYS broke down and could no longer be adequately serviced. Ironically, the final straw for those ERGYS users was also an open channel fault. The stimulator hardware is neither easy nor cheap to manufacture, and I suspect that TAI may not be making new parts any longer.

Curt Leatherbee may be able to help you, depending on how cross-compatible the old ERGYS and StimMaster parts are. Otherwise, you may want to start thinking about getting a new FES bike.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

Thank you for the information. Definitely appreciate it.

I started out with the old Stimmaster .. . . . I always like the seat and angle of the seat to the peddles on the stimmaster a little better than the ergys. Had the same issue though; by the time I started having trouble they were out of business.