Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ergys FES Bike Troubleshooting

  1. #1

    Ergys FES Bike Troubleshooting

    June 15th I contacted Therapeutic Alliance about a fault on my FES bike. Receiving ?open, left hamstring?. It?s not the cables; tested them using the dummy-load box. I am able to ride by reducing the max stim on left ham to zero but not at the resistance level I want. At higher resistance I can tell I?m dragging along half of a leg and I get additional shutdowns with different error codes.


    Between June 15th and July 10th I was receiving some correspondence to aid in troubleshooting, but I have sent a dozen emails since July 10th that have all gone unanswered. I have gone as far as asking for a quote for a new Stim Control Box and haven?t received a response.


    I guess I have two questions. Does anyone live next door to these guys to see if the lights are still on? And, are there any suggestions to troubleshoot the problem I am having with the bike?

    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saint Petersburg , Florida
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksdad View Post
    June 15th I contacted Therapeutic Alliance about a fault on my FES bike. Receiving ?open, left hamstring?. It?s not the cables; tested them using the dummy-load box. I am able to ride by reducing the max stim on left ham to zero but not at the resistance level I want. At higher resistance I can tell I?m dragging along half of a leg and I get additional shutdowns with different error codes.


    Between June 15th and July 10th I was receiving some correspondence to aid in troubleshooting, but I have sent a dozen emails since July 10th that have all gone unanswered. I have gone as far as asking for a quote for a new Stim Control Box and haven?t received a response.


    I guess I have two questions. Does anyone live next door to these guys to see if the lights are still on? And, are there any suggestions to troubleshoot the problem I am having with the bike?

    How old are the electrodes? Are you using enough gel? It could be a broken wire in the pants.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 08-09-2018 at 10:05 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    How old are the electrodes? Are you using enough gel? It could be a broken wire in the pants.
    I did. First thing I did when I got the shutdown was get new electrodes, then swapped the detachable cables, hoping the fault would follow the cable. Then I contacted Th/Alliance and bought the dummy load box and performed the test they wanted; which all the cables passed. The last contact I had from them I was asked to try riding with the max stim at zero and give a few data points. Then POOF! Absolutely nothing. No more assistance.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

  4. #4
    On my RT300 FES bike I've had random errors all caused by a faulty main cable. Had the cable replaced and they went. You don't have another cable to test with?

  5. #5
    If it's not the cabling, then it's something internal to the stimulator. That could mean any number of dozens of components may have failed. You'd need a handy electrical engineer to diagnose and resolve the issue, if not someone from TAI directly.

    I believe that only one person works for TAI part-time, primarily to help service existing customers. Several of our customers have purchased a new MyoCycle FES bike after their ERGYS broke down and could no longer be adequately serviced. Ironically, the final straw for those ERGYS users was also an open channel fault. The stimulator hardware is neither easy nor cheap to manufacture, and I suspect that TAI may not be making new parts any longer.

    Curt Leatherbee may be able to help you, depending on how cross-compatible the old ERGYS and StimMaster parts are. Otherwise, you may want to start thinking about getting a new FES bike.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

  6. #6
    Thank you for the information. Definitely appreciate it.

    I started out with the old Stimmaster .. . . . I always like the seat and angle of the seat to the peddles on the stimmaster a little better than the ergys. Had the same issue though; by the time I started having trouble they were out of business.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bellman View Post
    If it's not the cabling, then it's something internal to the stimulator. That could mean any number of dozens of components may have failed. You'd need a handy electrical engineer to diagnose and resolve the issue, if not someone from TAI directly.

    I believe that only one person works for TAI part-time, primarily to help service existing customers. Several of our customers have purchased a new MyoCycle FES bike after their ERGYS broke down and could no longer be adequately serviced. Ironically, the final straw for those ERGYS users was also an open channel fault. The stimulator hardware is neither easy nor cheap to manufacture, and I suspect that TAI may not be making new parts any longer.

    Curt Leatherbee may be able to help you, depending on how cross-compatible the old ERGYS and StimMaster parts are. Otherwise, you may want to start thinking about getting a new FES bike.
    The company that supplies most of my stuff is looking into a company called Mera Equipment Repair. I kinda have to let them do their own discovery, part of the game that gets played. I highly doubt Mera will be capable of working on the bike unless Therapeutic Alliance is selling their schematics and still producing repair parts. But, I will post if there?s anything helpful that comes of this.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

  8. #8
    I had a similar scare with my ELA Orion bike here in R.I. I would try taking an Alcohol Wipe and wipe down the connection male plug that comes off the wire harness where it connects into the pads. That worked for me. I first thought I had a bad electrode like you and replaced those, still did the same. Hooked up the wire connection connection check box and ran a wire harness test, tested out ok. I was like what the heck, thought for sure a bad wire and then I tried wiping the connectors and worked fine since. Beyond that make sure to check the connectors that go into the head unit and the connectors under the bike towards the back. I doubt it's something internal inside the head unit otherwise you would not be getting through the self check phase.

    Matt, I may be buying a Myolyn Unit from you next fall for Florida. I never did like that Galaxy bike, the seat is not comfortable, the velcro straps vs the buckles on my Orion I don't like and I have a issue with the unit not giving me a good workout that I have not been able to figure out for years now. I'll give it one last shot next Fall and if I cant solve it I may by one of your units. I am a little nervous about my right Knee, it just gets more and more stiff, I got hit by a car in 1991 and I think maybe I have really bad arthritis with it from that injury, I guess I should probably see a Doctor, I hope the answer is not something like get a knee replacement or discontinue FES, that would not be good.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Similar Threads

  1. ERGYS 2 FES Bike / Like New
    By sharky in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-13-2014, 10:29 PM
  2. F.S ERGYS 2 FES Bike
    By Chaz19 in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 10:43 PM
  3. Ergys 2 bike
    By teenyb in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM
  4. Ergys 2 bike
    By teenyb in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM
  5. ergys bike
    By wheelin 48 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •