Thread: Methadone tolerance, supposedly it doesn't exist but I'm not so sure

Methadone tolerance, supposedly it doesn't exist but I'm not so sure

So here we go again. After they removed half my pelvis and rooted around in there amputating my leg and shifting around muscle, my nerve pain went through the roof.

I was on Buprenorphine, Fentanyl, etc, etc. I'd settle on a dose and a little bit later there was the pain again at the same intensity. It's like my pain "reset" even though I had more and more drugs in my system. Finally, after dealing with the detox of various meds I found relief with Methadone (10mg BID) plus Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) (300mg BID). That gave me enough relief to actually start functioning again and pulled me out of the depression that was leading me to want to kill myself from the pain.

Now the pain's coming back, day 5 now of increased intensity. I really don't want to increase my dosages anymore, and realistically I'm on pretty low doses, I just hate these side effects and doping myself up every damn day.

This pain is a goddamn curse.

First order of business with any increase in pain for us SCId folk is to get carefully checked in case something unrelated is wrong. Problems anywhere below the injury site will usually increase all our usual pains. Our pain spikes can often alert us to serious, and not so serious health problems.

If nothing is found??? Check with another doc?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    First order of business with any increase in pain for us SCId folk is to get carefully checked in case something unrelated is wrong. Problems anywhere below the injury site will usually increase all our usual pains. Our pain spikes can often alert us to serious, and not so serious health problems.

If nothing is found??? Check with another doc?
    If I lived like that I would be in the hospital every day thinking something was wrong. In the past I went in a few times only to be tested and tested and then discharged because nothing was found. I don't doubt some people get more pain when something is going on, but some of us get tortured and are on heavy drugs because the nerve pain is always bad.

I checked into the hospital because the nerve pain was too much. I had a trail for an intrathecal pain pump and was approved.

I'm currently getting weaned pretty aggressively off of all my opiate meds in anticipation of pump surgery on September 7. I have short acting meds to stave off withdrawal symptoms and not get tortured so much, but this is definitely going to be tough. Would love to hear other people's experiences with the pump.

i just noticed this thread,= which is moot since hopefully your doing well with the pump, i am also a new pumprecipent, mine was implanted in march and i am still adjusting doses, but overall the pain is well managed.
    i was looking at your methadone doses, the 10 mg dose is fine but twice a day was the problem with that regime, i am surprised the doctors didn't catch that.. Methadone for pain is usually taken 3x a day or 4 times a day. I remeber the doc telling me to try twice a day first when i was initially prescribed methadone, but he wrote the script for 3x a day as he knew , it was rare for twice a day to work. The opiate war caused the doctor to to only Rx tramadol for pain , so i found a new doctor, while doig the pre testing and approvals for the pump, my methadone was increased to 4x a day, it really helped with the pain but i hated the tiredness inability to focus on maby task.
    i hope you are doing well
    cauda equina