Thread: Completely stopping bowel program

Completely stopping bowel program

Hi everyone,

Has anyone(probably more lower level injuries) just completely stopped doing a bowel program and just go by senses? I am a T12-L2 injury. I was doing a program every day that involved Dig stim, magic bullet. I had good success with it, but i had many many accidents especially close after i completed. It was very frustrating i couldnt find a method that worked well for me.

Anyways, after about 5 years struggling with that i slowly stopped doing my bowel routine altogether. This started when i was starting to realize that i could kind of sense when i needed to go and can also "Push" abit. I have had great luck with it now for the past 4ish years. If i have something ready to come out, my gut lets me know. Or a full feeling in my lower abdomin/pelvic region lets me know. I now have almost zero accidents doing it this way, sometimes i have wasted toilet trips over thinking i need to go though.

The only issue i have now is that occasionally i will go up to 6 days without a bowel movement, and sometimes i have larger than normal bowel movements. Is this something to be concerned with? I do normally have a bowel movement every 1-3 days. But sometimes when i go longer and have a larger one i wonder if that is a good thing.

Thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dream as if you'll live forever - Live as if you'll die tomorrow

(T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007)

This is how I have been doing for the 4 years in a chair. I do wear a pad just to be safe. Seems the pad keeps any from coming out. My only thing is occasionally I need to go at work. I am able to get the stuff ready to come out and some beyond . It is enough to be sure I do not have an accident. Though I am confused, I can feel more in there but when I get home It is not there. I can't reach my sphincter if I do not have stuff waiting. I go every few days but never seem to empty my bowel. I read about people going 30 to 60 minutes or more. How do you know your done?

If you go 6 days without I don't think your program is reliable. You could get an obstruction, rupture and peritonitis.
    DId you try enemeez? They will send you samples(www.enemeez.com). It works better in some people.
    CWO
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-09-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.