Thread: New Hope for Paralysis Victims: UCSD Creates Spinal Cord Stem Cells

New Hope for Paralysis Victims: UCSD Creates Spinal Cord Stem Cells

At least this human trial will "start soon"

https://timesofsandiego.com/tech/201...rd-stem-cells/

UC San Diego researchers successfully created stem cells that could have clinical applications in spinal cord injury and disorder treatments, the university announced Monday.

Spinal cord neural stem cells created from human pluripotent stem cells could advance to human clinical trials in three to five years after their efficacy is proven in rodent and primate studies,according to UCSD.
    Thus far, grafting the cells into the spinal cords of injured rats has proven to innervate structures, allow corticospinal regeneration and extend axons.
    ?In grafts, these cells could be found throughout the spinal cord, dorsal to ventral. They promoted regeneration after spinal cord injury in adult rats, including corticospinal axons, which are extremely important in human voluntary motor function. In rats, they supported functional recovery,? said postdoctoral scholar Hiromi Kumamaru.
    The stem cells can also be used in modeling and drug screening for spinal cord-affecting disorders like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, progressive muscular atrophy, hereditary spastic paraplegia and spinocerebellar ataxia, all of which are associated with progressive deterioration of gait, hand and eye movement, according to UCSD.
    The achievement, described in the August 6 online issue of Nature Methods, advances not only basic research like biomedical applications of in vitro disease modeling, but may constitute an improved, clinically translatable cell source for replacement strategies in spinal cord injuries and disorders.
    In recent years, much work has been done exploring the pot

Sign me up...what's that? 3-5 years before human trials?
    sigh.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

"3-5 years after their efficacy is proven in rodent and primate studies," you need to factor in the rodent study time...

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Sure beats the previous predictions of 7 years the medical profession has been saying for the last 45 years I know of.

It's like dog years. 7 for every 1 predicted ��
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I believe there may be some confusion developing. The Neuralstem trial with NSC566 has finished it's human trial Phase 1 Group A & B cohorts and was initially tested in this same lab. The recent publication about the trial was published in Cell Stem Cell on June 1st and there was this article about it.

I believe these new cells being talked about in the Created Line of Diverse Stem Cells article have only been tested in rodent and monkey and was published August 6th in Nature Methods. I believe they are IPSC derived from H9-ESC and quite a bit different in capability and potentially more robust than the Neuralstem line. I remember putting up a piece about the primate work back in February HERE. If I understand correctly, this new line of cells won't be ready for human trials for a few years.

"We established a scalable source of human spinal cord NSCs that includes all spinal cord neuronal progenitor cell types," said Kumamaru. "In grafts, these cells could be found throughout the spinal cord, dorsal to ventral. They promoted regeneration after spinal cord injury in adult rats, including corticospinal axons, which are extremely important in human voluntary motor function. In rats, they supported functional recovery."

Tszynski said that, although more work needs to be done, these newly generated cells will constitute source cells for advancement to human clinical trials on a time frame of three to five years. It still needs to be determined that the cells are safe over long time periods in rodent and non-human primate studies, and that their efficacy can be replicated.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-08-2018 at 04:07 AM.

News????

Created line of spinal cord neural stem cells shows diverse promise.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0806162716.htm