Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel/axel spacer

wheel/axel spacer

Greetings - I currently use a Matrx Elite DEEP 16x16 on my beater chair (TiLite X). I just got a set of knobby tires that rub on the bottom corners of the backrest... not so much that it greatly interferes but enough that it will destroy the backrest after not too long. I seem to remember having a similar issue with my Fatso tires years and years ago and I'm pretty sure the shop added some sort of spacers to the chair that allowed the wheels to sit a little farther out from the chair and that did the trick. If this is something I can do on my own, I'd love to avoid a trip into the shop. Would I be looking for something along the lines of this: https://www.sportaid.com/rear-wheel-axle-spacer.html? And if so, will I need to get new/different pins? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Blog Entries
    Depends on the chair. How are the camber plugs installed? On my Lasher BT-Mg I can unscrew the camber plugs and add split washers between them and the axle receiver. On another chair I had to add the washers to the quick release axle pins themselves (between the inside of the hub and the axle receiver. TiLite sells specific spacers for their camber tubes.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Pics can be accessed on Google Photos (no account necessary) at https://photos.app.goo.gl/UzyoRNzcFG9yXH1q9 - hopefully sufficient to give an idea of the setup. It looks like the camber plug can slide in and out of its bracket to create more or less spacing between the wheel and the frame. But it ALSO looks like it's out as far as it can go. Would a spacer do me any good here or do I need to get a whole new camber plug set? Not being overly knowledgable about this stuff nor manually dextrous at all, am I barking up the wrong tree trying to make this mod on my own?

By camber plugs, do you mean the axle receivers on the frame? If so they look short, I mean there seems to be very little adjustment allowed. Does Ti sell longer ones? Does anyone know if Quickies can be swapped in? I have several extras.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Looks like you have some adjustment left on the pin. If you can loosen it and put some 1/2 inch washers between the wheel and frame that may get the tires out enough. You could also put some 1/4 inch washers on the bolts holding your mounting plate to the frame. You can also "dish" the wheels. Any bike shop can do it.

Or longer axles and spacers
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm. That's a TiLite so they make OEM spacers that fit with the camber plugs, IIRC, but I'm not sure about the X. That's true of other models of TiLite, for sure. It also looks like you have about 1/4" of adjustment on that axle pin nut (under the button) so you could add a couple 1/8" thick washers righ onto each axle pin (between the button end and the wheel hub, then adjust the axle pins to be longer so the quick release ball bearings still engage. That'd be +.5" spacing.

If those camber
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    By camber plugs, do you mean the axle receivers on the frame? If so they look short, I mean there seems to be very little adjustment allowed. Does Ti sell longer ones? Does anyone know if Quickies can be swapped in? I have several extras.

I meant the aluminum piece the steel camber plug is inside. If that is plug threaded into the 'receiver', like mine is, it can be removed and spaced out a bit easily with washers.

https://www.dmehub.net/TiLite-Rear-W...as100945-z.htm - this kit comes with 1/2" and 1/8 inchers and says they'll fit all TiLite models. I gotta figure I can get that to work... as long as there's enough length in the axel pin, right? The plug does not seem to be threaded into the receiver but adding the spacers (or plain old washers) to the axel pin should get me to where I need to be... I think/hope.

Blog Entries
    Axles come in a variety of lengths in case you need longer. Sportaid also sells a universal spacer.
    https://www.sportaid.com/rear-wheel-axle-spacer.html