Thread: Getting out into the horse paddock

Question Getting out into the horse paddock

If I want to get out into the horse paddock I'm guessing my off road powerchair is best . What would be the best options in terms of using a manual in the paddock I'm guessing a freewheel and a smartdrive I'm thinking in terms of rehabilitation

A SmartDrive and freewheel are likely your best options. What sort of terrain are you needing to tackle? Here our paddocks turn into mud in the winter so I don't even try and go out into them then.

Blog Entries
    Smartdrive ain't so great without hard packed surface for traction. I think the ZX1 or a front attach powered 5th wheel might be better options. The front powered 5th wheel would cover both duties of Freewheel and rear power.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I have a few friends with horses. I used my ZX-1 along with my Freewheel. Rolled right on thru. The ZX does get stuck in soft, loose gravel but is really easy to disconnect and pull it out. Main thing with a manual is to get the front wheels off the ground. In the old days it meant doing a wheelie to get over the bumps and dips.

Never heard of a powered front wheel drive other than an attachable powered handcycle. I use a Roadrace Powerpod on my handcycle. It's the best of both worlds; it pushes from the rear and the front wheel pulls while crank. I found powered front wheels have a tendency to skip in softer surfaces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I have a few friends with horses. I used my ZX-1 along with my Freewheel. Rolled right on thru. The ZX does get stuck in soft, loose gravel but is really easy to disconnect and pull it out. Main thing with a manual is to get the front wheels off the ground. In the old days it meant doing a wheelie to get over the bumps and dips.

Never heard of a powered front wheel drive other than an attachable powered handcycle. I use a Roadrace Powerpod on my handcycle. It's the best of both worlds; it pushes from the rear and the front wheel pulls while crank. I found powered front wheels have a tendency to skip in softer surfaces.

Yes, that's what I was referring too, the powered front wheel handcycle conversions. They have excellent traction with the right tire, plenty of weight on the front end. I've used one to great effect on soft shallow sand and dirt around here (tire being key). They tend to be much cheaper than ZX1/Smartdrive too.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I'd place betting money on the ZX1 with Freewheel over the SD or powered handcycle types. Reason? two wheel drive.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, if you can manage the weight, size, and cost, it's the performance king for sure. There was a video posted recently by fuentejps and he's tearing up gravel even without a Freewheel.