Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Desperately need help with wheelchair positioning

Blog Entries
    Looks like you're "sacral sitting", too. Don't know how common (or avoidable) that is for a T1, but it can be a problem for sure. I need a little dump and squeeze (<90deg back angle) to maintain proper lumbar lordosis and have my hips not rotated under when sitting. A visit to a seating clinic is a great idea.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Hi SequinScandal
    I know a lot of the comments are about dump, but in looking at the photos (very helpful), I'm wondering if you have a rigid seat instead of an adjustable fabric seat. I don't see any straps holding seat material in the side view photo.
    If so, have you considered an adjustable seat fabric (I believe it's the "standard seat" with a chair) that you can lower, using the velcro straps that come with it? It seems such an adjustment would allow you to "sink into" the seat cushion instead of being perched on top of it. How tall are you? Maybe such an adjustment would help if you are tall, for instance, from shoulder to hip. If you go this route, I'd try lowering the rear of the seat material to see if you can achieve some amount of dump. Your fingertips would be a bit closer to the axle on the wheel.

I also noticed that in your bare feet your heels are not touching the footrest - that may be a preference thing as I'm guessing they would touch if you had shoes or heels on. But just thinking if your footrest was a bit higher you lap would be more level.

Definitely agree a seating clinic may help you. A pressure map could tell if the low profile cushion you prefer is protecting your butt. I'm not sure a seating clinic would work on possible adjustments to the chair. Suggest you specifically ask for both issues in setting up your appointment.
    Meanwhile, it goes without saying that a daily skin check is so important, and hope it's in your routine.
    Hope you let us know how it goes.
    Hey! No I’ve never even heard of this kind of seat. Can you explain more? Or show me a pic please. I’m 5’7. The only thing that keeps my cushion on the seat is the Velcro on the bottom. Yes I’m actually very active I’ve recently lost 30 pounds. I check my butt everyday. No pressure sores so far in 12 years but i do have a lot of natural cushion to work with thankfully lol

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Looks like you're "sacral sitting", too. Don't know how common (or avoidable) that is for a T1, but it can be a problem for sure. I need a little dump and squeeze (<90deg back angle) to maintain proper lumbar lordosis and have my hips not rotated under when sitting. A visit to a seating clinic is a great idea.
    Yes! This is exactly how I’m siting and i hate it. My stomach looks so much flatter when I’m sitting more upright. I know that sounds a bit vain, but I hate the para belly so much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    Hey! No I?ve never even heard of this kind of seat. Can you explain more? Or show me a pic please. I?m 5?7. The only thing that keeps my cushion on the seat is the Velcro on the bottom. Yes I?m actually very active I?ve recently lost 30 pounds. I check my butt everyday. No pressure sores so far in 12 years but i do have a lot of natural cushion to work with thankfully lol
    Sometimes for folks with 'natural cushion' this can cause you to need to compensate with a cushion that's higher in the front, like the Contour XS, to keep your femurs level and not sliding forward.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

You definitely need more dump and looks like you could benefit from raising your footplate. Do your feet no get swollen? Judging by your camber tube set up you might be able to get more dump adjustment. Private message me your ti lite serial number. I can log onto Ti lites website and view the specs on your chair. I work for a dme in arizona. I have a couple of ideals that might help. I am also a chair user 25 years T-10 para.

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    You definitely need more dump and looks like you could benefit from raising your footplate. Do your feet no get swollen? Judging by your camber tube set up you might be able to get more dump adjustment. Private message me your ti lite serial number. I can log onto Ti lites website and view the specs on your chair. I work for a dme in arizona. I have a couple of ideals that might help. I am also a chair user 25 years T-10 para.

Sent ya a message

Dump first.
    Adjust back angle forward after that.
    Adjust foot plate. Height and angle. Next.
    Adjust front casters last.
    Do them one at a time and take it for a ride. If its good go on to the next adjustment. That way you can tell if it helped or not.
    What ROHO did you have? Did anyone ever show you how to adjust it properly? Most people sit on top of their ROHO like a beach ball. You need a friend to adjust it correctly. A good friend. They need to get behind you and put their hand between your butt and the cushion. They should be feeling your butt and the seat with very little extra air. That way you sit "down" in the ROHO.

Some great suggestions here. I will throw in two more and you might not like them.

1. Have you ever used or considered using armrests? I am t/2 and when I got in a chair in 78' they were pretty much standard. I will say they have helped a lot with posture and stability. Some simple swing aways that can be removed if you don't want them on. If I am going for a wheel around the neighborhood, walk the dog etc. I can just take them off and put them on my outside table. It's just a thought if you've never used them. I don't run with a lot of dump for a few reasons , if you can get away with it ( dump) maybe you want to keep it minimalist.

2. My other suggestion, again, because of our levels, and seeing your age in profile, if I had it to do again after 40 years I would wear an abdominal binder sometimes, from the onset, nothing big and bulky, a six (6) inch one makes a significant difference for me. Doesn't have to be all day everyday, just something inexpensive to try when you want it. Between gravity, aging, organs settling and atrophied abdominal muscles a simple and inexpensive binder can make a difference in para / quad gut and again, add stability and posture.. I didn't use one for many years but now I have a few inexpensive ones around and they come in handy. I wish I had started earleir.

Just some thoughts, good luck.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 08-06-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Sorry I've had no luck trying to post pictures after several attempts. My TiLite seat has black straps that keep it in place underneath the seat with velcro. In order to adjust the "slump" of the seat, one would turn the chair over and loosen/tighten those velcro straps. On my chair I have done these adjustments over the years as needed. Most recently I used a slightly higher cushion and found my slide-transfer to toilet was a bit more difficult so I loosened the front of the seat material just enough to help my cushion sink in and not obstruct transfer. I cannot lift up to do a transfer, so the front seat adjustment works for me.

Maybe some others here can comment on whether they have adjustable seat material on their chairs. I always thought a rigid seat was a special order add-on. I'm guessing that's what you have?

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Sorry I've had no luck trying to post pictures after several attempts.
    Hi Triumph. I hope that I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs here.

Go to the go advanced reply option. scroll down and you will find the manage attachment