Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Desperately need help with wheelchair positioning

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Ahhhhh...yeah, that was probably the wrong direction. Add ~.5"-1" MORE than you had, but also try straightening that back up. I suspect the sliding feeling is made worse by the open backrest angle; that can often put some forward shearing pressure on your butt, causing some forward slip over time. A Contour XS could help keep you centered only if it's clinically sound for you. (If the Sport is, then the Contour or Classic would be too, in all likelihood, but get checked just to be sure.)

I like to keep my cushion as low profile as possible. I was even just searching for one even lower than this one lol i told him to move my backrest forward a bit but it still looks looks like it’s at a 90 degree angle to me? Will definitely add the dump back plus a little more and I’m a T1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I like to keep my cushion as low profile as possible. I was even just searching for one even lower than this one lol i told him to move my backrest forward a bit but it still looks looks like it?s at a 90 degree angle to me? Will definitely add the dump back plus a little more and I?m a T1
    Backrest angle is measured relative to the floor, so you're definitely wider than 90deg. When you add dump, this angle will open even more, so you'll at least need to adjust it back to where it is now, relative to the floor, if it seems OK for you where it is.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Honest, I don't know a thing about manual chairs.
    But, like posted by experts, it looks like some dump is needed. If you having things slide out of your lap then dump should help.
    Backrest angle, think someone noted yours is adjustable. That be trial/error til you locate right spot.
    Length of arm to wheel hub, as already noted looks like make pushing harder.

'Calloused palms' what gloves do you wear? Sounds like you might need a more padded inside of glove and harder/ridger outer covering of glove.
    This more likely wrong. I use powerchair but have wear gloves due to loss of sensation, poor circulation, blood thinners and fragile skin. Thin lightweight synthetic gloves like shooting or running gloves I developed callus area between base of thumb and index finger where I control joystick. Went back to leather gloves and mostly mechanic gloves with padding in area.

Is there a Seating Clinic in your area? Did you have any seat mapping done before cushion was picked?
    If there is a Seating Clinic or Rehab facility in your area I'd ask about getting checked, might require a Rx from your Primary but may help save your shoulders and possible sliding out of chair.

The one REALLY BIG thing is to protect your butt!
    I got arrogant about that and paid the price! (3 mos in bed from a stage 4/to the bone ischial ulcer)
    After eight years in a chair, I dumped the heavy gel cushion for a Roho sport which only had pneumatic cells in the center with foam on the periphery.
    Worked great-like bucket seal, very lightweight and pretty thin. And I stopped doing butt inspections. Works like a charm until 2012, 17 years post injury!
    Don't take chances on your butt! Get a good cushion, get pressure mapped, and pay attention.
    With any luck, you'll never appreciate my advice because you'll never have a breakdown, but I'm now a firm believer in getting mapped and having a good cushion-which may not be terribly fashionable.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I was never mapped, but will call my SCI doctor Monday to request for an order for the seating and positioning clinic at RIC aka Shirley Ryan ability center. I had a Roho most of my injury and hated it. Don’t kill me lol I’ve tried all kinds of cushions air, gel. Etc. i like the honeycomb material on the sport the best.

That's a great plan! You'll be able to compare what you know with others and have empirical evidence to make choices if the info suggests you're mistreating your cheeks!

By the way, did you know asphalt is not a rectal disease?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Noted the back to seat angle is greater than 90deg. This will make you tend to slide out of it.

Add some dump by raising the back wheels which lowers the back and then lock the backrest a bit more forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    First off hello everyone! Its been a long time since I?ve posted here. Hope everyone is doing well. I don?t even know where to begin. I?ve been paralyzed now over 10 years and I?ve never really had a chair that I felt was a good fit for me. I think this one is the worse. I feel like I sit on top of my chair instead of in it, if that makes sense. The first two photos are me sitting in the chair without the cushion. I wish i could sit that deep into the chair with the cushion. Is that even possible? I have no idea what adjustments to ask for and these DMEs never seem to know what they?re doing. I also have a hard time pushing and have calloused palms because of it. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you
    You have had plenty of good, qualified advice. Here is my 2c.
    Here is my Aero T after cutting and stretching. I may have adjusted the dump a fraction more since this image. My finger tips are at centre of the axle and the COG is near enough to where I am comfortable with. When seated, your knees need to be above your hips. How much is up to you and your O.T.
    The castor fork adjustment is an interesting adventure and has been attended to post this image. As you can see, they are way out. Even after stiffening with heavier grade than OE urethane elastomers, I am still not sold on the suspension.
    IMO the early stuff is easier to adjust but can be a bugger to maintain. These Aero T units are a solid fix.
    I think that this is the type of aspect you want, or near to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by slow_runner; 08-05-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Hi SequinScandal
    I know a lot of the comments are about dump, but in looking at the photos (very helpful), I'm wondering if you have a rigid seat instead of an adjustable fabric seat. I don't see any straps holding seat material in the side view photo.
    If so, have you considered an adjustable seat fabric (I believe it's the "standard seat" with a chair) that you can lower, using the velcro straps that come with it? It seems such an adjustment would allow you to "sink into" the seat cushion instead of being perched on top of it. How tall are you? Maybe such an adjustment would help if you are tall, for instance, from shoulder to hip. If you go this route, I'd try lowering the rear of the seat material to see if you can achieve some amount of dump. Your fingertips would be a bit closer to the axle on the wheel.

I also noticed that in your bare feet your heels are not touching the footrest - that may be a preference thing as I'm guessing they would touch if you had shoes or heels on. But just thinking if your footrest was a bit higher you lap would be more level.

Definitely agree a seating clinic may help you. A pressure map could tell if the low profile cushion you prefer is protecting your butt. I'm not sure a seating clinic would work on possible adjustments to the chair. Suggest you specifically ask for both issues in setting up your appointment.
    Meanwhile, it goes without saying that a daily skin check is so important, and hope it's in your routine.
    Hope you let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    You have had plenty of good, qualified advice. Here is my 2c.
    Here is my Aero T after cutting and stretching. I may have adjusted the dump a fraction more since this image. My finger tips are at centre of the axle and the COG is near enough to where I am comfortable with. When seated, your knees need to be above your hips. How much is up to you and your O.T.
    The castor fork adjustment is an interesting adventure and has been attended to post this image. As you can see, they are way out. Even after stiffening with heavier grade than OE urethane elastomers, I am still not sold on the suspension.
    IMO the early stuff is easier to adjust but can be a bugger to maintain. These Aero T units are a solid fix.
    I think that this is the type of aspect you want, or near to it.
    Ah yes this looks like the same amount of dump i had before i told him to remove it. But even with that amount i was slouching a lot. I guess i need to try a bit more dump and the seat more forward