Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Desperately need help with wheelchair positioning

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I recently had my DME remove all the dump because I thought that would help me sit up straighter but I was wrong and now I slide down even more. Everything just slides right off my lap. Like my legs are kind of going at a downwards angle now.
    You can keep the greater dump and still sit up straight by adjusting the back angle. That way, you sit deeper in the chair, sit up straight, and things don't slide off your lap. An adjustable hard back would do wonders for your positioning including better posture. Roho Agility is a popular one.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You can keep the greater dump and still sit up straight by adjusting the back angle. That way, you sit deeper in the chair, sit up straight, and things don't slide off your lap. An adjustable hard back would do wonders for your positioning including better posture. Roho Agility is a popular one.

I just took my hard backrest off. I hated it

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Some great suggestions here. I will throw in two more and you might not like them.

1. Have you ever used or considered using armrests? I am t/2 and when I got in a chair in 78' they were pretty much standard. I will say they have helped a lot with posture and stability. Some simple swing aways that can be removed if you don't want them on. If I am going for a wheel around the neighborhood, walk the dog etc. I can just take them off and put them on my outside table. It's just a thought if you've never used them. I don't run with a lot of dump for a few reasons , if you can get away with it ( dump) maybe you want to keep it minimalist.

2. My other suggestion, again, because of our levels, and seeing your age in profile, if I had it to do again after 40 years I would wear an abdominal binder sometimes, from the onset, nothing big and bulky, a six (6) inch one makes a significant difference for me. Doesn't have to be all day everyday, just something inexpensive to try when you want it. Between gravity, aging, organs settling and atrophied abdominal muscles a simple and inexpensive binder can make a difference in para / quad gut and again, add stability and posture.. I didn't use one for many years but now I have a few inexpensive ones around and they come in handy. I wish I had started earleir.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

no arm rests. I can adjust myself fine using the wheels to push off from. But i am interested in a good binder. Which one do you use?

It's like furniture. If it doesn't fit you then you'll hate it. But if it fits you well, you should love it.

I have trunk strength and control so an adjustable backrest is what I have/use. I have not had experience with a hard backrest but could it be that perhaps your chair configuration could have some bearing on the discomfort factor?

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I have trunk strength and control so an adjustable backrest is what I have/use. I have not had experience with a hard backrest but could it be that perhaps your chair configuration could have some bearing on the discomfort factor?

Yeah It doesn’t seem like I’ll ever have a chair I like. I wish I knew how to adjust things myself but last time I tried to fix something it didn’t go very well and my DME is worthless when it comes to making suggestions.

Yeah It doesn?t seem like I?ll ever have a chair I like. I wish I knew how to adjust things myself but last time I tried to fix something it didn?t go very well and my DME is worthless when it comes to making suggestions.
    Listen to BFD and do these adjustments one at a time. Mark the existing reference point to work from.
    I am reasonably handy and would offer to assist but it is a long bus ride from here to there.
    Do you know any engineers, mechanics, carpenters etc? These trades are generally people who have logical thinking and practical skills. Or are there any wheelies within koowee who can assist you?

Anyone out there?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 08-09-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Hi Triumph. I hope that I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs here.

Go to the go advanced reply option. scroll down and you will find the manage attachment
    !

Thank you! Will try it soon. So many times I've tried to post a picture, but never heard that suggestion.

Yes! This is exactly how I?m siting and i hate it. My stomach looks so much flatter when I?m sitting more upright. I know that sounds a bit vain, but I hate the para belly so much.
    OMG so do I! I'm stressing over this wheelchair fit, now that I'm going on my third time to make this chair. Sitting on a Stimulite contour, my hips and belly poof out badly! And my back arches more even. I don't feel like I'm sitting straight. I'm thinking I'll have to stick to the Roho hybrid, the only one that's worked for me. Or try the Stimulite without the contour... But any more dump than in inch, and I'm feeling like squeezed. Makes it hard to decide what to do, cuz it's also bad to feel falling forward, especially when wheeling on uneven terrain.