Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest straps/harnesses

Chest straps/harnesses

I usually don't wear a chest strap, unless I'm navigating city curbcuts that may throw off my balance. When I do, I use a standard chest strap. Has anyone ever used one of these chest harnesses: https://www.bodypoint.com/ecommerce/...oulder-harness

I use a chest harness in my day time chair and off road chair, not that exact model but very similar. Find that I have to keep straps really tight to keep me in position. I don't mind this but my support workers think that they are too tight

Does it help keep you positioned laterally, or just from going forward?

That support is cool. It looks like one is wearing a back pack, so totally stylish.

I have the same problem when outdoors in my zx1. I was just thinking of getting another lap belt. Are you be able to do weight-shifts? If so would this restrict you from doing them? Also, from your profile, don't know if you are able to remove it yourself - when indoors?
    When I had a velcro lap belt attached to wheelchair seat it was always getting in the way when not in use, and I couldn't reach to stuff it into the back of my seat.

It looks cool and comfortable for those who could feel it. In trying a variety of seat, chest and shoulder straps in the past few years. I have found that wearing most of them prevent me from doing good weight shifts. As a result, I stick to a loosely secured seat belt. The last thing I need is an ischial area pressure sore.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

If you do weight shifts by using your power chair tilt-in-space features, then a harness does not interfere with that. It would prevent you from doing push-up or side-to-side type weight shifts, and obviously not lean-forwards.

Note that this does require riveting it to your chair back at four places, so you would need to have a back on your chair that would accommodate that, and the instructions state that it should be use together with a waist belt, not alone.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm vented so always have someone with me to loosen it when needed. I can't do weight shifts just tilt back or loosen and tilt forward. Off road it is essential to stop me moving about, I go up and down steep hills but biggest benefit is off camber where I would fall out of the side of the chair. You do need a solid back, mine attach to Jay comfort backs.

For confidence in town it is great, I have to take a ramp to get my hair cut and it is quite steep, used to reverse down it but now just tighten the harness and go down forwards. I have a lap belt but they are useless, don't stop you sliding or moving. If I was forced to chose just 1 it would be the chest harness.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    For confidence in town it is great, I have to take a ramp to get my hair cut and it is quite steep, used to reverse down it but now just tighten the harness and go down forwards. I have a lap belt but they are useless, don't stop you sliding or moving. If I was forced to chose just 1 it would be the chest harness.
    What sort of lap belt do you have and is it well secured? My preference is the bodypoint one with Sub-ASIS pads as that makes my pelvis sit really well and I am more stable in my upper body. Bodypoint have some pictures of different angles which achieve different things on their website. It should stop you sliding AND moving!

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyL View Post
    What sort of lap belt do you have and is it well secured? My preference is the bodypoint one with Sub-ASIS pads as that makes my pelvis sit really well and I am more stable in my upper body. Bodypoint have some pictures of different angles which achieve different things on their website. It should stop you sliding AND moving!
    Whatever my local wheelchair services fitted to the chair. NHS is weird in the UK they don't do a lot with the lap belt but will pay for a chest harness. I don't have a lap belt in the off road chair, it wouldn't stop my upper body falling to the side.

I use a bodypoint lap belt similar to the one Emily describes. Throughout the day I find I still slide out in my seat some.