Thread: Lift, platform bed idea

Lift, platform bed idea

I enjoy traveling, and anymore it has become more difficult to do so. The reason being that I use a "hoyer" lift (it's actually a Molift Smart 150, packs up nicely for travel). The majority of hotels have begun using "platform style" beds, that have no clearance between the bed frame and floor to allow the lift to operate. So I've been brainstorming, and thought of an idea that I may email the Molift company about. I doubt they will institute it, as the demand probably isn't there, but here's my thought...

The legs of the lift open up slightly wider then what is shown in the pic below, to allow the legs of the lift to go around the chair, and for stability. One then maneuvers the lift so the legs go under the bed frame, again, not possible with a platform bed. So my thinking was this. The individual would line the lift up parallel with the side of the bed, so one of the legs is as close to the bed platform as possible. Then the modification I've thought of is, where the silver vertical arm of the lift connects to the red portion of the lift base (where the lift separates for travel), some kind of swivel could be installed that would allow the base to remain stable, but would allow the lift arm (and patient) to pivot like a crane over the bed. Perhaps a small bracing arm positioned near the back wheel of the lift could be used for stability. The biggest question for me would be the balance/tipping point. Not sure how, or who, could perform a modification if it seemed workable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I enjoy traveling, and anymore it has become more difficult to do so. The reason being that I use a "hoyer" lift (it's actually a Molift Smart 150, packs up nicely for travel). The majority of hotels have begun using "platform style" beds, that have no clearance between the bed frame and floor to allow the lift to operate. So I've been brainstorming, and thought of an idea that I may email the Molift company about. I doubt they will institute it, as the demand probably isn't there, but here's my thought...

The legs of the lift open up slightly wider then what is shown in the pic below, to allow the legs of the lift to go around the chair, and for stability. One then maneuvers the lift so the legs go under the bed frame, again, not possible with a platform bed. So my thinking was this. The individual would line the lift up parallel with the side of the bed, so one of the legs is as close to the bed platform as possible. Then the modification I've thought of is, where the silver vertical arm of the lift connects to the red portion of the lift base (where the lift separates for travel), some kind of swivel could be installed that would allow the base to remain stable, but would allow the lift arm (and patient) to pivot like a crane over the bed. Perhaps a small bracing arm positioned near the back wheel of the lift could be used for stability. The biggest question for me would be the balance/tipping point. Not sure how, or who, could perform a modification if it seemed workable.
    I like your thinking! I'm sure it would take some figuring out but it might be possible.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 08-04-2018 at 03:33 PM.

I've been told by 2 folks that the base would need to be much heavier for balance.

I've been told by 2 folks that the base would need to be much heavier for balance.
    Definitely. I'm 230 lbs. it would tip right over.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Definitely. I'm 230 lbs. it would tip right over.
    But...hopefully into bed!

But...hopefully into bed!
    Hopefully.

We have parked at the Hoyer parallel to the bed and my wife has stood on the farther leg and "windsurfed" me into bed. It worked, once, but not so safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzbub View Post
    We have parked at the Hoyer parallel to the bed and my wife has stood on the farther leg and "windsurfed" me into bed. It worked, once, but not so safe.
    And how'd you get back out of bed?!