Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Lift, platform bed idea

  1. #1
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    943

    Lift, platform bed idea

    I enjoy traveling, and anymore it has become more difficult to do so. The reason being that I use a "hoyer" lift (it's actually a Molift Smart 150, packs up nicely for travel). The majority of hotels have begun using "platform style" beds, that have no clearance between the bed frame and floor to allow the lift to operate. So I've been brainstorming, and thought of an idea that I may email the Molift company about. I doubt they will institute it, as the demand probably isn't there, but here's my thought...

    The legs of the lift open up slightly wider then what is shown in the pic below, to allow the legs of the lift to go around the chair, and for stability. One then maneuvers the lift so the legs go under the bed frame, again, not possible with a platform bed. So my thinking was this. The individual would line the lift up parallel with the side of the bed, so one of the legs is as close to the bed platform as possible. Then the modification I've thought of is, where the silver vertical arm of the lift connects to the red portion of the lift base (where the lift separates for travel), some kind of swivel could be installed that would allow the base to remain stable, but would allow the lift arm (and patient) to pivot like a crane over the bed. Perhaps a small bracing arm positioned near the back wheel of the lift could be used for stability. The biggest question for me would be the balance/tipping point. Not sure how, or who, could perform a modification if it seemed workable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saint Petersburg , Florida
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I enjoy traveling, and anymore it has become more difficult to do so. The reason being that I use a "hoyer" lift (it's actually a Molift Smart 150, packs up nicely for travel). The majority of hotels have begun using "platform style" beds, that have no clearance between the bed frame and floor to allow the lift to operate. So I've been brainstorming, and thought of an idea that I may email the Molift company about. I doubt they will institute it, as the demand probably isn't there, but here's my thought...

    The legs of the lift open up slightly wider then what is shown in the pic below, to allow the legs of the lift to go around the chair, and for stability. One then maneuvers the lift so the legs go under the bed frame, again, not possible with a platform bed. So my thinking was this. The individual would line the lift up parallel with the side of the bed, so one of the legs is as close to the bed platform as possible. Then the modification I've thought of is, where the silver vertical arm of the lift connects to the red portion of the lift base (where the lift separates for travel), some kind of swivel could be installed that would allow the base to remain stable, but would allow the lift arm (and patient) to pivot like a crane over the bed. Perhaps a small bracing arm positioned near the back wheel of the lift could be used for stability. The biggest question for me would be the balance/tipping point. Not sure how, or who, could perform a modification if it seemed workable.
    I like your thinking! I'm sure it would take some figuring out but it might be possible.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 08-04-2018 at 03:33 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    943
    I've been told by 2 folks that the base would need to be much heavier for balance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saint Petersburg , Florida
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I've been told by 2 folks that the base would need to be much heavier for balance.
    Definitely. I'm 230 lbs. it would tip right over.

  5. #5
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Definitely. I'm 230 lbs. it would tip right over.
    But...hopefully into bed!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saint Petersburg , Florida
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    But...hopefully into bed!
    Hopefully.

  7. #7
    We have parked at the Hoyer parallel to the bed and my wife has stood on the farther leg and "windsurfed" me into bed. It worked, once, but not so safe.

  8. #8
    Senior Member landrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitzbub View Post
    We have parked at the Hoyer parallel to the bed and my wife has stood on the farther leg and "windsurfed" me into bed. It worked, once, but not so safe.
    And how'd you get back out of bed?!

Similar Threads

  1. Platform Stair lift or used vertical lift
    By pete4sake in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2018, 10:12 PM
  2. DIY Platform lift
    By cfx in forum Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2017, 04:38 PM
  3. cargo lift vs platform lift
    By vjls in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2016, 04:49 PM
  4. Looking for a Platform Lift
    By rcechser in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
  5. Looking for a Platform Lift
    By rcechser in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •