Thread: Just thinking. Wheel chair floor mount.

Just thinking. Wheel chair floor mount.

I've gained a lot of weight and, gotten a little older. I lost my ability to get back into my wheelchair if I do any chores, car repairs, etc. that require me to get out of the chair. Wouldn't it be great if there were an inflatable that you could put under yourself to raise you up to the level of the chair to get back in. Just thinking.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Not inflatable, but I have one of these bath lifts that has helped me back in the wheelchair after a couple of accidental falls. With a boat cushion on it for padding, it lifts me up to wheelchair height.

The Elk and Camel devices are designed for emergency use to get someone off the floor, but require that a caregiver operate it and assist:

https://liveoakmed.com/products/mang...ifting-cushion

https://liveoakmed.com/products/camel-lifting-cushion

Most mobile lifts (again, operated by a caregiver) can be used to get you up off the floor, as well as most ceiling or free-standing track lift systems (but of course you have to be on the floor under the track).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Once saw a video of independent use of that first inflatable device provided in post by SCI nurse. The person raised up to the level of a chair in his living room; I believe he then transferred over to wheelchair.
    However, it looked like it involved a great effort and I really don't see this too useful for someone who's paralyzed and older.
    I'm older than you and lost my ability to get back up into my chair from the floor many years ago. Dang frustrating, but developed some work-arounds and don't miss working on my chair from the floor.

Consider finding a used ballscrew and mount it to a frame with a standard seat attached. I built one of these a few years ago just. It sits flush on the ground at the base seat position and can rise up to about 30”. It is stationary and requires standard 110v plug-in. I attached a lever on/off switch for ease of use. I have purchased a few components and platform lifts from HGR Industrial Surplus. I’m sure there will be other similar resources across the country. A small material handling lift also also work well.
    If you think that you can or if you feel you can't, either way your right.