Thread: Are condom catheters bacteria carrying where one can be prone to infection ...

Blog Entries

Are condom catheters bacteria carrying where one can be prone to infection ...

Hello, I would like to know if condom catheter can be a source of urinary tract infection?

I am a para and have been using condom catheters in intervals after I do intermittent catheterization 4x a day. However, I still get infections from E. coli to Klebsiella every now and then? Thanks for any tips.

Yes, they can. The urine can pool in the tip of the catheter to the connector and grow all sorts of nasty bugs. You need to try to keep it as straightened out as you can in order to keep the urine draining.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I was thinking about this same thing recently, as I also use condom catheters and intermittent cath. The problem I have is some of the urine stays in the catheter part at the top, until I take it off to cath and the suction is released allowing it to drain through the tube into the leg bag. Its like if you hold your finger over a straw filled with water, the water stays in the straw until you take your finger off. How can I keep this suction problem from happening, because from what your saying (ckf), I'm going to be prone to UTI's if some of the urine stays in the condom catheter all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I was thinking about this same thing recently, as I also use condom catheters and intermittent cath. The problem I have is some of the urine stays in the catheter part at the top, until I take it off to cath and the suction is released allowing it to drain through the tube into the leg bag. Its like if you hold your finger over a straw filled with water, the water stays in the straw until you take your finger off. How can I keep this suction problem from happening, because from what your saying (ckf), I'm going to be prone to UTI's if some of the urine stays in the condom catheter all the time?
    Hi Brad09,

My father was on a condom catheter for quite some time and also had this problem you describe with the urine getting stuck towards the top of the catheter line and in the tip of the catheter. One thing that we found to help with this is to obviously keep the line as straight as possible and to drain the bag regularly. However, another thing that has seemed to help is to NOT drain the bag of urine completely. Leaving a small amount of urine in the bag when you drain it seems to help with the problem you've described having. Give it a try. Hope it will help you out some!

- AA

Use of condom catheters can increase risks for UTI if you are voiding with high pressures.

In addition, if you leave a condom catheter in place for longer than 24 hours, there are studies indicating that this significantly increases the bacterial load on the skin of the penis, and if you don't sufficiently clean the penile skin before inserting a catheter, this can cause UTIs. Strongly recommend changing and cleaning the skin well with antibacterials wipes or soap at least every 24 hours. In addition, if you do it less often, you can miss skin breakdown that can be more easily managed if caught early, and you are also much less likely to have odor problems.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.