Thread: AD blood pressure spikes

AD blood pressure spikes

I?ve been having blood pressure spikes for a few days that?ll go into the 190s and gradually come Dow within 2_3 minuets. Usually happens every 30 minutes when I get a spasm or move around in my chair. My bladder will get stronger spasms causing an immediate spike in blood pressure. I have no uti symptoms. Had labs done today and everything checked out ok. Catheter was changed to rule out a blockage. Had a ultrasound of bladder and kidney about a month ago and everything was good. Catheter drained good. I squirt urine from penis when I get bladder spasms. I have a sigmoid end colostomy and doctor said I had mild proctitis. Could proctitis cause AD? Anybody here experience anything similar? Thanks
    Last edited by julian q; 07-30-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Since proctitis is an inflammation of the lining of the rectum, it probably can cause autonomic dysreflexia (AD) symptoms. Is high blood pressure the only symptom of AD that you are experiencing? Has your doctor given you medication or instructions on altering you diet to deal with the inflammation. If your doctor hasn't recommended some treatment, he may not understand that mild proctitis may cause you more difficulty (pain response) than it would cause for someone without the spinal cord injury.

Are you taking any medications, oxybutynin, for example, for your bladder spasms? What kind of indwelling catheter do you have, supra pubic or urethral?

I have a Supra pubic catheter fo the past 20 years. No bladder medication cause never needed them. Last week my bladder started to spasm and would trigger immediate rise in blood pressure that lasts around 5 minuets and returns back to normal. I think I have some type of bladder injury cause it usually only happens when I move in my chair or when I get a body spasm. Dr prescribed me bladder meds so hopefully that will help me.

If the bladder medication does not help, and since you have no other UTI symptoms, then I would look at the bowel/GI issues you are having. While bladder is the #1 cause of AD, bowel is #2.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by julian q View Post
    I have a Supra pubic catheter fo the past 20 years. No bladder medication cause never needed them. Last week my bladder started to spasm and would trigger immediate rise in blood pressure that lasts around 5 minuets and returns back to normal. I think I have some type of bladder injury cause it usually only happens when I move in my chair or when I get a body spasm. Dr prescribed me bladder meds so hopefully that will help me.
    What bladder meds did he prescribe?

Have you been checked for bladder/kidney stones?

What may have caused a "bladder injury?"

I'm experiencing something similar. I'll get spasms in my legs and stomach and my blood pressure shoots up over 240. It comes back down in 5 minutes or less. The spasms are so strong they'll throw me back in my chair. I also then have a hard time pushing my chair because the spasms kick in every time I lean forward to push my chair. Just touching my left hip area will trigger the spasms. I have had x-rays of my hips and pelvis, ultrasound of the kidneys and a CT scan of my abdomen. Results show some small gallstones. I have had Botox injections in the bladder and am taking 10 mg of Oxybutynin twice a day. I am also at the daily maximum for Baclofen, 120 mg/day. I have found taking an edible containing about 25 mg THC will significantly reduce the intensity of the spasms or eliminate them. The relief lasts anywhere from 7 to 10 hours. Bowel program is nightly with no issues. It will be curious if what you were prescribed by your doctor does work.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident