Thread: Take someone Or leave them

Take someone Or leave them

Quick question...

has anyone traveled somewhere, (Santa Fe NM) and tried to line up someone ahead of time to perform their bowel program? Instead of traveling with an assistant? If you have what kind of advice do you have? Thank you in advance

At this Yelp site (https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=hom...Santa+Fe%2C+NM) you will find a list of home healthcare agencies in Santa Fe. Some of these are national franchises and you might be able to arrange something in Santa Fe through an affiliate company in your area. Or you could email/call these companies and inquire how you might go about hiring someone while you are visiting Santa Fe. Keep in mind that agencies may require you to fill out paperwork in advance so that they know your needs, provide doctor's orders for the bowel program (some states require a registered nurse or an licensed practical nurse to do a bowel program because it is considered a procedure - and agencies will follow that requirement), and have a credit card on file.

I think this would be your safest way of finding help with your bowel program for a short term visit. Agencies do background checks and employees are bonded and insured.

If a licensed practical nurse or a registered nurse is required to do the bowel program, charges can run about $60-$100 per hour, generally with 2 hour minimum.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-30-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDun333 View Post
    Quick question...

has anyone traveled somewhere, (Santa Fe NM) and tried to line up someone ahead of time to perform their bowel program? Instead of traveling with an assistant? If you have what kind of advice do you have? Thank you in advance
    We dont need to do this but as a frequent traveler I would only do this on demand service with an agency so you have back up in case the person did not show!

If you have an assistant working for you, is it possible to negotiate with them about accompanying you? That is, allow time for them to "vacation" on their own at the site, perhaps even meet a friend there. In this way they would benefit from the trip in addition to providing your needed care. It seems you could agree on your payment to them in light of them getting free time to vacation. Don't know if this would make your costs less than hiring an unknown person at your destination.

I would also add that hiring a person, even from an agency, does not guarantee that they will know what to do for your bowel care. For example, if you require digital stimulation, most agency nurses are clueless. They may or may not take instruction from you and do it properly.

I would second the suggestion about taking your own personal care attendant with you if possible.

(please complete your profile, as well)

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I arranged ahead for an assistant through an agency in Florida on a winter get away once. I was lucky enough to speak with the agency owner. Explained my disability and asked if they have a staff member that looks after ADL's of a C 5-6 quad. He had a person in mind - Gave her my phone number and we had a discussion where I was able to determine her significant experience in quad care. Hired her through the agency and it all worked lout well. I was nervous at first, but she was a real gem.