Thread: Lift for two stairs

Lift for two stairs

Our local senior center has agreed to make the stage w/c accessible. We'll need a lift to go up approx. 18".Residential or commercial. Would like to keep the price down. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It has to be an approved lift otherwise we would have our local marine shop fabricate one.

Can you do a ramp or a portable ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Our local senior center has agreed to make the stage w/c accessible. We'll need a lift to go up approx. 18".Residential or commercial. Would like to keep the price down. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It has to be an approved lift otherwise we would have our local marine shop fabricate one.
    “w/c accessible...would like to keep the price down”...how many times have we all heard that said?!? Has anybody successfully achieved it?

Our son’s primary school burnt down while my son used to go there (no injuries, it happened at night). What was a 100 year old school was completely re-built and, fortunately, because my son was a pupil there, and of course regulations have changed, the re-build made sure that everything was accessible. For the stage they incorporated this: https://www.liftup.dk/en/products/fl.../#2-step-model. It isn’t cheap. Once it was re-built, all the pupils returned and my son spent his final primary school year there. Funnily enough, he never used it once! But I did see it working at one point, and it does function very well. And can be locked in the stair position to prevent it being used by those who don’t need it.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Thanks for your replies. There's not enough room for a ramp as it has to be to code. I'll pass the Liftup info to them. Thanks again.

Craigslist or ebay, search words: vertical platform lift; wheelchair lift; wheel chair lift; etc. might also want to contact some rehabs. I've even had them given to me.

That is a hellova neat unit Gordy.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-28-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

Probably too late and too far, but this caught my eye. It looks like three risers to me 3X6=18 inches: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/d/harmar-il-500-inclined/6730875180.html

I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

That's a cool lift. The Senior center decided to go with a built in ramp to go up the two stairs. Will still take a year for some reason; probably permits and funding from the city. They weren't' going to do it until we brought up the ADA rules on renovation and required accessibility. When done , it will be the only stage accessible in the county at a senior center (5). Pretty sad.

I played in the Hackettstown Community Band for two years, which required me to be lifted up over five? concrete steps into the community center. (exiting I did myself going down backwards) The groans and slips of the aged members lifting me were ominous.

I joined a better band in Pennsylvania. No steps but 84mi round trips!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ