I have been in remission from non-Hodgkins Lymphoma for 13+ years. In that time I have helped with fund raising and advocacy through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Today, I received an email about an issue that is important to all of us with pre existing conditions and our insurance coverages. Please read the letter below and then use the link below my comments to send a message to your United States Senator expressing your concerns over "pre-existing condition" clauses.

http://advocacy.lls.org/p/dia/action...tion_KEY=25285

Dear ..........,
It wasn?t all that long ago that insurance companies could deny patients coverage simply because they had survived cancer ? a ?pre-existing condition.?

Thankfully, that practice has been illegal for the last few years. But the Department of Justice (DOJ) has decided to stop defending this law in courts, strengthening the hand of those who want to allow insurance companies to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions. This is an attack on the healthcare of cancer survivors and millions of Americans.

The Senate has oversight power over the Department of Justice, and can apply real pressure to the DOJ to defend the laws on the books. But we need your help to make this a priority for the Senate.

Write to your senators and urge them to demand the DOJ enforce the law and defend our healthcare!

The Department of Justice?s decision to no longer defend the pre-existing condition law in court is a fundamental attack on our healthcare. If you care about saving the ability for you and others to get insurance despite any pre-existing conditions, please take a minute to contact your senators now.

Defend healthcare for cancer patients: Ask your senators to demand the DOJ defend the law that forbids insurance companies from denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

Advocates like you were responsible for stopping Congress from repealing these protections last year. And if enough of us raise our voices right now, we can hold the Department of Justice accountable for enforcing these protections now!

Thanks for your support,

Danielle Bubnis
Senior Director, Advocacy
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society