Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power addon

was thinking of getting this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiewa-Q1Hum...606106&sr=1-36
    what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    was thinking of getting this, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiewa-Q1Hum...606106&sr=1-36
    what do you think?
    I could see myself getting busted by the Feds on the way home from the pub with this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiewa-Elect...dp/B0787S5ZK7/

BTW some cheaper options here, plus they have an actual showroom (if they had stock): https://www.funbikes.co.uk/c257_funb...ctric-scooters

I think with any off the shelf scooter the issue be the deck/rear wheel height. If you found someone handy with a wielder the deck height could easily be modified.
    Last edited by sarcastrix; 07-29-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    what do you think?
    as I was reading the french forum where the previous guy has explained his work, I think you must take care of the deck heigh and the wheelbase of the scooter.
    If you use an attachment like the "pop'n drop", on the top of the deck, it means you'll have to pop up a nice wheelie to lock it. It also means that the deck to floor heigh will become your footplate heigh, and may be you don't want to seat too much tilted back. It will change the grip of the front wheel too.
    The wheelbase will affect your turnability. If the back wheel of the scoot is too far on the back of your wheelchair wheels, it will become hard to spin or even turn hard. That's why the guy has made an attachment to lift the back wheel of the scoot.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastrix View Post
    If you don't want to go off-road then building something like the 'Pop n Drop' has to be the cheapest way into a motorised chair. Basically, a cheap electric scooter clamped to the footplate - $275 for the bracket & $599 - $899 for a 20mph EcoReco Scooter (M3, M5, S3 or S5).

That sure is seductive and interesting.
    I could fabricate the $275 bracket easily and also get the chair a little less inclined by getting rid of the protruding hardware that holds the "U" bolt and raises the footplate to clear it.
    I have an MX1 but carrying this in the car would be so simple-I could detach it and stow it myself! And, it's faster!

And, watching the video again, I wonder if a slightly different bracket might be better: one that the opening faces rearward instead of up. It seems to me that it might be easier and even lower if it were constructed so once you wheeled onto the deck of the scooter, there was no need to hit the relatively small target of the yokes, but instead could pull the scooter back until it engaged the rear-facing openings.
    I guess I'd have to buy a scooter and try first.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

yeah i see these problems now, and with the bigger better faster etc scooters this could be a problem. i think i know what you mean about the rearward opening for the bracket and just push into it and lock it off with something strong, then you wouldnt need to "pop" that part, for the price of a decent scooter and making a bracket yourself somehow its worth a shot in my eyes, you could even sell it to anyone if you ever decide to sell just take your bracket it off, would be interesting to see which scooter you go for and bracket, also was thinking of clamping the bracket to the scooter so it can easily be taken off and no damage to the scooter, let me know how you get on please as im thinking of doing this.

I've been looking for a low-cost diy power-assist option for some time now and this seems perfect. For what I'll use this for, I don't need to go super fast. I plan on making the bracket myself with the help of a friend. Am I correct in assuming that you would have to have a scooter that the power is controlled at the handlebars? I don't see how it would work otherwise.

Thinking further, I have my vectors backwards! The thrust expressed on the foot plate tubing would be expressed by the pin or bolt that closes the third side of the laid down "U" bracket as the scooter tows the chair.
    That wouldn't be very good over time, and the thin-wall titanium tubing would loose the contest!
    If moving the bracket back a couple inches wouldn't be ungainly for the rider, the "U" could face forward, possibly with a delrin liner to keep the titanium happy, and one could wheelie over the bracket then pus or self propel the scooter to seat them.
    My latest Ti, Medicare aluminum spcl, the footplate would need to be modified as it has upward curved sides that nearly touch the down-tubes. It wouldn't be a big deal to cut out the front corners to create horizontal tubing for the hitch. I bet split plastic bushings of several materials could be snapped over the Ti tubing and left there.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Someone I met while his wife was in rehab designed this:

http://www.segfree.co.za/the-scootfree.htm

As far as I know he does have distributors in both the USA and UK
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012