Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power addon

power addon

how hard is it to make your own power addon like the batec etc? i recently had a test ride of the triride and it was great i would love to get one but i sat looking at it thinking wheres the ?4700 its going to cost me to get one, so i started looking into e bike hub motors etc and im pretty sure with some help i could make a very powerful addon for under ?1000, has anyone done this themselves? do you know someone who has? just seeing if im missing something here, any help would be great, thank you.

I put this one together using a an E-bike hub motor and controller, throttle, battery, etc.

The omni-wheels that drive it are from a company that supplies parts for 'battle-bots'.

It was a fair bit of work and cost about $1800 to put together.

That said, though I can cruise at 14 mph (with a freewheel) and in two and half years it's pushed me about 2500 miles.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Doh!

If you don't want to go off-road then building something like the 'Pop n Drop' has to be the cheapest way into a motorised chair. Basically, a cheap electric scooter clamped to the footplate - $275 for the bracket & $599 - $899 for a 20mph EcoReco Scooter (M3, M5, S3 or S5).

Last edited by sarcastrix; 07-24-2018 at 06:43 AM.

canny, im now thinking of making a buggy front end instead of just the one middle wheel to make it more stable with 2 powered front wheels with suspension im just looking for a mechanical engineer to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    how hard is it to make your own power addon like the batec etc? i recently had a test ride of the triride and it was great i would love to get one but i sat looking at it thinking wheres the ?4700 its going to cost me to get one, so i started looking into e bike hub motors etc and im pretty sure with some help i could make a very powerful addon for under ?1000, has anyone done this themselves? do you know someone who has? just seeing if im missing something here, any help would be great, thank you.
    I think it cost me about $2k to create “The Beast”. (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...The-Beast-quot). You are correct, the vast majority of the build is readily available. The only bit that isn’t is the attachment method between the power and the chair.

(BTW, are you talking in pounds or dollars, as your post has a “?” instead of the currency symbol...the joys of this forum software!! You can edit your post and change it...for some reason it accepts the correct symbols then....)
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    canny, im now thinking of making a buggy front end instead of just the one middle wheel to make it more stable with 2 powered front wheels with suspension im just looking for a mechanical engineer to help me.
    From watching my son using an add-on for the last 5 years or so, I don’t think that two wheels at the front would make a lot of difference for stability. He’s been least stable when one of his rear wheels hits something and lifts up. So unless your front two wheels can articulate independently of the rear wheels (or your suspension has huge travel), I don’t think it will help much.

However, two powered front wheels will definitely help with traction. I managed to try out an electric 4 wheel drive buggy recently (can’t remember the name of it, I need to look it up). They actually offset the front two wheels so that both wheels don’t hit a curb/bump at the same time, to provide even more traction. Clever thinking.... (It was also great fun, although I reckon my son wouldn’t think that it was fast enough!)

Edit: the name of the 4WD was the Zoom...https://newatlas.com/zoomability-zoo...elchair/36082/
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    I put this one together using a an E-bike hub motor and controller, throttle, battery, etc.

The omni-wheels that drive it are from a company that supplies parts for 'battle-bots'.

That said, though I can cruise at 14 mph (with a freewheel) and in two and half years it's pushed me about 2500 miles.

Jeff
    That’s cool! Particularly with the hydraulics to improve traction. And well done in finding the omni-wheels...I went searching for those a few years ago, but couldn’t find anything suitable - certainly not for joining to hub motors....

Jeff, your add-on is a very nice piece ! Your idea to use a OmniWheel is great. It's amazing to see some nice ideas of people who prefer to build their own product rather than to buy them ! Very impressed...
    In the same idea (I mean DIY) a guy here in France has built a low-cost attachment for E-Scooter, very similar to the Pop'n Drop solution, you can see it on Youtube :
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post

Jeff
    I built one independently about the same time as you four years ago. Mine however only has three wheels. Aligning two was enough of a challenge for me since the centers needed to be cut out to fit the motor and each side was different.
    Here is the link back in time: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...60#post1751360

A shortcut today is to just use an old MX1 and gut the pc board, and then get a new controller and bike throttle.
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-25-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

im loving the ideas of pop n drop tbh coz you can get some powerful scooters 60+ mph and range only thing is it has 10inch wheels i duno if i can wheely that high to get over the rear wheel haha, also i would like to see these scooters take on some trails maybe a little off roading, if they are good at it i might just get a really good scooter and make my own bracket like pop n drop, thanks for input guys im still on the lookout
    @Gordy1 it was pounds sterling/uk money :P