Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blister on foot

Blister on foot

I was at the beach all week and had to sleep on a recliner bc the beds were too high.
    ive never had anything like this happen. I?m currently putting silver sulfadiazine cream on it.
    any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks like the inner heel of your right foot? Or outer part of left foot?
    When you have a blister it’s the result of rubbing or shearing on something
    Or a burn.

The best thing you can do is to keep it covered and prevent it from bursting. The blister is protecting the irritated skin under the bubble. If it does burst trim all the excess skin off to the edges, clean well with soap and water and keep it
    covered with antibiotic ointment or silvadene cream.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    I had two(one on each heel) recently. Got them from working in the sun on a 106 degree day here in the desert, without socks. My footplates are black and I didn't notice the blisters until I went inside at about 7pm to clean up. I just washed the dirt off my feet, put microcyn hydrogel on the blisters and then covered/taped them up with gauze and pulled loose fitting socks over the blisters REAL careful so as not to tear them. I was very careful for the next couple of weeks to place my feet carefully, put a cover over my footplate, etc. I monitored the gauze to insure it stayed dry/blisters did not break, without changing socks but once per week(left them on 24x7). After 15 days or so, I had a wet sock when I got home after dark one night, so I removed the sock and bandages carefully. It had torn about a half inch at the top of the blister on the inside near the ankle bone. Fluid was still in the bottom, si I carefully cleaned my feet with a washcloth and put microcyn all over the area again. Replaced the gauze and place new socks over them(cleaned both feet). Mind you, that is two weeks without doing anything, not even removing the socks. The feet were healing very well, even the deep portions, that had blood blisters. I do not sweat below T4 so my feet didn't need daily washing to endanger the blisters. I took the large, bigger than my palms, blistered skin off exactly one month to the day of the blisters. They were thick, tough as glove leather and had pink, baby butt skin underneath. The key is to avoid tearing the blister or getting ANYTHING inside/on the skin beneath it. I have pictures on my desktop, on a laptop outside, otherwise would post them. First time in 22 years this has happened.

Should I avoid any creams until it bursts?

Thanks. First time in 29 years for me!

I've had two of these this year. Last one was due to clonus spasms and I didn't have socks on. Keep it from bursting. This last one took about a week and then the fluid went away and kinda looked like a blood blister and then eventually the skin came off and it had healed underneath. I used a bit of Bactine on the exterior and then gauze with wound wrap around the ankle to keep it in place (until the fluid was gone). Swapped it out every two days or so. Wore socks over the wrap and just wore the biggest of my shoes so it would all fit.

Blister on foot..

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    That looks like the inner heel of your right foot? Or outer part of left foot?
    When you have a blister it?s the result of rubbing or shearing on something
    Or a burn.

The best thing you can do is to keep it covered and prevent it from bursting. The blister is protecting the irritated skin under the bubble. If it does burst trim all the excess skin off to the edges, clean well with soap and water and keep it
    covered with antibiotic ointment or silvadene cream.

pbr
    Should I wait to put silvadene on it until it pops or start right away?

Putting Silvadene on it won’t hurt it - the key is just to keep it protected. The longer the blister stays in place the body will heal it naturally underneath.
    I’m glad you have the Silvadene when the blister does burst it’ll come in handy for treating it

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Putting Silvadene on it won?t hurt it - the key is just to keep it protected. The longer the blister stays in place the body will heal it naturally underneath.
    I?m glad you have the Silvadene when the blister does burst it?ll come in handy for treating it

pbr
    Thank you so much!

From my experience. If it was my blister I would be splitting an Aloe Vera leaf, and applying the gel side to the blister and surrounds. As has been said previously, take all precautions and measures to ensure the blister (skin) stays intact. A customised glove (the light type for personal use) will hold the leaf in place, or just apply the gel. Change the dressing daily and allow the wound to breath for a few hours during the day.
    There is plenty of reference on site to Aloe use.
    My recent luck with a burn is fully recovered and evidence of the burn is no longer showing. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...e+vera+blister

Good luck with your recovery.