Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of advice and help (Wheelchair)

Blog Entries
    Definitely looks like you're sitting too far forward and/or the chair is a couple/few inches too short for you. A couple fingers cushion clearance behind your calves is all you need, generally speaking.

If that black bit behind your left shoulder is the top of the backrest, I'd say that's WAY too high. T injuries can often feel pushed forward and uncomfortable not having their lats and traps free of the backrest. IMO the backrest shouldn't be higher than your injury level for a thoracic injury.

Can't tell if it's because you're too far forward but axle position looks too far back. The rule of thumb is you should be able to touch the hubs with your finger tips with your arms hanging relaxed.

Can't make out dump in this angle, but it looks shallow. I'd recommend 2.5-3" as a good place to start for a T10.

Is your newer Stimulite cushion contoured like the old Jay? It might should be, if not. Contoured cushion can help keep you in place, although if you're constantly sliding forward shearing injuries are a big concern to me, so addressing the other chair geometry issues comes first IMO.

There are a couple rehab places in my region I can visit to try chairs out. Maybe something like that near you too?

Either way, my priorities would be, were this me, in this order:

- MUCH lower back (~12" high from seat pan)
    - Longer chair/move backrest farther rearward
    - Experiment with more dump
    - Experiment with axle position
    - Contoured cushion

Tough part is, all these changes will impact each other (wheelchair is a closed system), so taking them one at a time is important IMO. I think this order of operations is a good approach to managing this, but once you get to start tweaking axle position and dump, you'll most likely have to go back and make perfectory modifications to your back angle and height.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Dude, whoever guided you on your wheelchair setup needs to get another job. To echo Oddity, lowering the back to about your SCI level and moving your rear axles ahead so your fingertips can touch them with arms at rest on your sides will get you about 80% of where you want to be. (Those two changes are not difficult to accomplish with this chair.) After that, it's all fine tuning one thing at a time. I've been in a chair for 29 years and my body continues to change (not in a good way lol). I'm still making minor corrections. That's why I think it's wise to continue getting chairs that allow for plenty of adjustment--even at the expense of being a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Definitely looks like you're sitting too far forward and/or the chair is a couple/few inches too short for you. A couple fingers cushion clearance behind your calves is all you need, generally speaking.

If that black bit behind your left shoulder is the top of the backrest, I'd say that's WAY too high. T injuries can often feel pushed forward and uncomfortable not having their lats and traps free of the backrest. IMO the backrest shouldn't be higher than your injury level for a thoracic injury.

Can't tell if it's because you're too far forward but axle position looks too far back. The rule of thumb is you should be able to touch the hubs with your finger tips with your arms hanging relaxed.

Can't make out dump in this angle, but it looks shallow. I'd recommend 2.5-3" as a good place to start for a T10.

Is your newer Stimulite cushion contoured like the old Jay? It might should be, if not. Contoured cushion can help keep you in place, although if you're constantly sliding forward shearing injuries are a big concern to me, so addressing the other chair geometry issues comes first IMO.

There are a couple rehab places in my region I can visit to try chairs out. Maybe something like that near you too?

Either way, my priorities would be, were this me, in this order:

- MUCH lower back (~12" high from seat pan)
    - Longer chair/move backrest farther rearward
    - Experiment with more dump
    - Experiment with axle position
    - Contoured cushion

Tough part is, all these changes will impact each other (wheelchair is a closed system), so taking them one at a time is important IMO. I think this order of operations is a good approach to managing this, but once you get to start tweaking axle position and dump, you'll most likely have to go back and make perfectory modifications to your back angle and height.

*Update*

In the last 3 weeks there have been 2 changes so far. I went back to using the lower Jay Back that is 11" and not 9" like I orginally said. And I moved the axle forward about 1".

My posture issue is still the same if not slightly worse. My lower back was already aching and still is now. It has to be aching pretty bad if I can feel it at my Lumbar being a T10 complete. I would like to try a sling back to see if it would set me back to where I would need to be. But can't find a demo back for my width. Hopefully I can.

The back wheels do feel slightly better with them forward 1" but only slightly because of my current position.

My bucket is at 2.5" to 3" so I would like to keep it there and maybe even less if possible with my next chair. I feel more comfortable sitting closer to 90? then how I feel where I am wedged in like I do now when I sit in a "good position". With the 11" Jay Back it feels tight. My old Jay Active cushion helped with that. But they don't make that cushion no more.

@triumph, I think I do need a longer frame. I have long legs. The next chair with definitely be longer.

@Oddity, I know the rehab clinics have chairs that were donated to them so maybe I will go to a couple that will hopefully have a chair close to my size. There is no contour with the Stimulite cushion. It is a egg crate design flat square. There was a little contour to the Jay Active on the front but nothing in the back. The gel sat on top of the foam.

I don't want to push for a new chair because I would like to lose weight before I do get a new chair but I am given not much choice here. Looks like I will have to try and push for a new chair early.

I would like hear from and see other T10 level wheelchair users in their chairs to see how their back rests and postures are and what kind of cushion they are using if some would like to share a picture.

Also if anyone or everyone could post links to all types of cushions that are out there. Maybe some out there I haven't found yet.

Thanks everyone for any and all help.

*UPDATE*

So I got my new TiLite Aero Z and the Jay X2 cushion for it. The chair is fully adjustable and I have been messing around with the adjustments in every which way possible but I am still having the same damn posture issues. My last TiLite was 17 inches from front to back and this one is 20 or 21 inches front to back. I was hoping the extra 3 - 4 inches would have helped but it hasn't. My butt and hips want to slide forward every time which then drops my back and shoulders and pushed my chest more to my stomach. I moved the back wheels forward 3/4" forward from where they were when I got it in hoping that would help with center of gravity a little but that don't matter because of how my butt and hips slide forward that takes any of that way if there is any. I can barely do a simple little front wheel hop to avoid a little crack on the sidewalk.

I do not know how much of this is just my luck with the chairs or how much of all this is me. I don't do my stretches as much as I need to but trying to do them more and don't know if that could also be a cause to this problem.

Any other advice would help.

Thanks.

***I do not know a thing about manual chair!*****
    Extra 3-4" is alot if talking seat depth if you were talking powerchairs.
    I'd ask how much seat dump do you have since sliding forward, too. I forgot to ask on one of my chairs and ended up having keep in slight tilt to have enough dump to keep from sliding.
    I didn't go back to read but did a seating clinic do your measurements?

The depth is 20 or 21 inches. I can adjust the dump also and I have been but so far no matter what I keep having the same problem no matter the adjustments. Too low and my knees are too high and too high I slide a little more. But even in the middle where I have it now the sliding keeps happening.

If the back of your knees are touching the seat at all, it's too long and will cause you to scoot forward. I'm 6'2" T6/7 using a Tilite TR with Ride Java back and cushion. My seat depth is 18". I have a 4" depth ridigizer bar. The clearance should leave around a two finger width between back of leg and seat.

A T/10 should handle a 1 to 3" dump with back at 90o. 2" is the average I believe. I have a 4" dump with my back at 14" and at 90 or 92o angle. If your back angle is too far forward, you'll naturally scoot forward to accommodate how you're used to sitting. For a rough fitting of leg length to foot rest you should be able to place you fingers under your knee with a slight pressure to the fingers.

For cog roughly measured with you sitting straight, your index finger should be in middle of axle button with fingertips between half the button to just below it. You should be able to do a wheelie fairly easy for a T/10. A 1/4 or 1/2" can make a big difference once the cog is roughly dialed in.

Are you changing the front wheel angle to 90o when trying out the different dump positions. That's critical. 11" back is pretty low considering the cushion. If you can raise it up a bit, that may take pressure off your lower back. With that low of a back, your lower back is doing all the work in stabilizing your body. Try raising abit and perhaps a one hole recline that you have now.

Anytime you make an adjustment to the chair cog or dump, the front forks have to be adjusted to be at 90o. A square or level helps a lot. Also when dialing in, check the toe in-out of the rear wheels.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-04-2019 at 02:58 AM.

The depth is at 20". I just measured it. I believe that is what my first chair was at. That chair was an old Quickie R2. With that chair the back of my knees did touch the seat. But I never had this problem with that chair that I have been having with this chair and the chair before this one.

This sliding and posture issue started with my previous chair (which is shallower at 17"). That chair is a TiLite ZR. Besides the Jay Back and being able to slide to front wheels forward just a 1/4", there is no adjustability for that chair. It is also shorter from top to bottom by at least an inch. My back wheels are an inch larger at 25" on the Areo Z compared to 24" on the ZR.

But yeah whole issue started with the ZR. Literally from one day to the next. I had decided to try and go up a local mountain paved trail one night and I did it with ease. Either the next few days or weeks after that I couldn't even do the small hill down the street. Because the harder I push the more I slide and that made it harder. It would be like me sitting in low bucket quad rugby chair and trying to go up the hill. I posted a picture of myself in the first page of how I was sitting in the ZR.

With the Aero Z when lift myself and scoot back my legs with push the cushion back but even after that the back of my knees are still not touching the sling either.

Other than sliding the back wheels forward, the dump and the adjustments for the back I haven't messed with any other adjustments. I didn't think about the casters. Also I don't know at what degrees I am setting the adjustments at. I am just going by feel mostly. Which apparently isn't helping me at all.

You would think that being a T10 paraplegic for 16+ years that I could and would have mastered the wheelie by now but it is actually the complete opposite. I can not and have not ever been able to do a wheelie other than the little hops just to get over small bump. I am trying to change that. But right now it's not gonna happen until I solve this issue I am having.

Picture of you in the chair from the side, will help.
    First you need to lower the back of the seat, probably a lot. Don't worry about how far forward/rearward the wheels are until you get the rear of the chair low enough to keep you from sliding forward.
    Then you can work on the next step.

I'd like to help out if I can, but it will be difficult to tell what's going on without a good straight on pic of you in it from the side and a couple of pics of just the chair.