Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In need of advice and help (Wheelchair)

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    First you need to lower the back of the seat, probably a lot. Don't worry about how far forward/rearward the wheels are until you get the rear of the chair low enough to keep you from sliding forward.
    Then you can work on the next step.
    Right now I have the back as low as it will go and I did raise the seat up one more notch. And I did move the back forward a little bit. I will have to move it back again. As far as the sliding forward goes so far it has not mattered where I set the seat at. I had it on all natches and also adjusting the back I am still sliding forward. Where I have it set now is where I would prefer to be. I prefer to sit up higher. Thinking back to my first chair (Quickie R2) this about the height where I was. I can't go back to that chair now. A few years ago I split the frame on the bottom two tubes. Had it welded and split it split them again. Threw it away a few months ago and didn't think about taking any measurements or getting the part number off of it. I don't have any old paperwork on it either.

Since I had broke that chair I have had 2 other chairs and so far I have not been sitting comfortably in them. And another chair (which would have been my second chair) that was a folding chair and that was a very bad idea to get. Never used it. Just used it for parts.

Anyway. Basically I am at a loss. I am making adjustments but nowhere can I find the comfort. I understand there is a lot of trial and error but for me it seems like there is a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I'd like to help out if I can, but it will be difficult to tell what's going on without a good straight on pic of you in it from the side and a couple of pics of just the chair.
    I will try to take pictures tomorrow. I posted a picture in the first page of me in my previous chair. From that chair to this one I am having the same posture issues (so there is not much difference) even though the depth on this chair is 3 inches longer and adjustable. The previous chair I could adjust the back but that was it really.

Most causes of sliding forward have already been mentioned. One thing to add is that your spine may be "C" shaped where it should be "S" shaped. Only a rigid back can position your spine away from "C" and toward "S". An upholstery back can't do that. Having said that, an upholstery back is probably better than the the wrong rigid back. I live close by. PM me if you want to discuss and meet.

Thanks August. PM sent.

This is a little late for me to ask this question right now.

A couple weeks ago I talked to August. We talked about a number of things about me and my chair.

I really just have a quick question. Don't want to make this long.

I am still having sliding and discomfort issues despite the adjustments and changing over to the sling back from the Jay Back. They are not as bad and better to deal with.

Today is Monday and tomorrow I have a doctor appointment. I am thinking of asking my doctor for another prescription to get another chair.

Based on these pictures and your opinion should I go through this process again of getting another NEW chair or should I work on losing the weight first?

On all my chairs my width has always been 18 or 20 inches. Have always felt that is to wide for me but have managed to deal with it.

Don't know if I will get much of a response in the short time I am asking.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'd make the back next hole straighter and perhaps one hole lower,or more, for back height. That puts the back below your scapulas and allows you to sit a bit straighter and wheel easier. You're a T10 so can go lower.
    I'd also put a leg strap around your legs to bring the hips more inline. I used gym bag straps t first and now velcro straps. Feet are too far back on the foot rest and leg length is a little too long. There should be a two finger width distance between the back of the knee and cushion edge. If you like your feet that far back, tighten up the back sling to bring your body a bit more forward,

If you can tighten up the lower back that'd bring your shoulders in a better wheeling position . THe reason your sliding forward is mainly the leg length is too long and seat length is too long.You have to slide forward for your feet to rest on the footrest. How hard is it for you to doa wheelie the way it's set up? I was told DME's like to make a chair too wide because they think you'll get that big. They're right, if given a wider chair, our body will naturally spread out. For myself, The strap bringing the hips together, makes a smaller seat width. I use an 18" wide with an axle spacer to widen the wheel width to match the way I wheel. Looks like your toe in-out is out alignment a bit.

A one point for your doc to use is the seat length is too long forcing you to slide forward putting extra pressure on the Sacrum. If you do order a new chair get either an 80 or 85o front end. Good Luck BigE.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 05-14-2019 at 02:31 AM.

My opinion...I think your backrest is still way too high and should be angled more forward (at least 90 degrees). I agree your seat is too long, but it's way easier to get a shorter cushion and seat sling then getting a whole new chair. The frame length is a little long, but manageable if your cushion were shorter. I think you should go back to 24" wheels or raise the seat to floor height if it's adjustable. Your finger tips are well below your axles with your arms down which is going to make pushing a lot harder and less efficient. You are probably having to raise your shoulders when you push, which isn't good.

I think the position of your feet on the footrest is fine, I prefer to tuck mine under as well. If you still can barely do a wheelie the biggest problem is the center of gravity is too far back. Your backrest angle will affect it as well, but to a lesser effect. Get the backrest height and angle set right first, then move the COG foward until you can easily pick the front wheels off the ground.

Long story short, you're in an adjustable chair and should be able to get it to a point that it is more comfortable. I'm afraid if you get a new chair without figuring out why you're having your current problems, it's just going to keep happening (like it did the last time you got a new chair).
    Last edited by Brad09; 05-14-2019 at 09:02 AM.